Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jobyone t1_j5z67g6 wrote

I bet a 3d printed guide will get you really close. Certainly close enough that you'll be able to pretty easily hand sand it down to perfectly smooth. Just construct the joint before you do the final sand and finish on the staff.

You might also want to permanently fix the threaded rod into one side with epoxy or permanent threadlocker. That will probably help it always land in the same alignment when you screw it together, to avoid feeling a lip.

Ever so slightly chamfering the edges where it meets is probably also a good idea. It'll make a slightly recessed ring where the sides meet, but that's better than a ledge, and will help avoid splinters.

composites123 OP t1_j5zlcgb wrote

Thanks for the tips! I was thinking of using the red Loctite threadlocker for one of the threaded rods. Do you have a different one you would suggest instead?

Also, how can I chamfer the rod? I have limited tools at home (small apartment really) but if it is something handheld I could buy it online.

jeffersonairmattress t1_j5zqnw1 wrote

If it's a hardwood and you have a power drill, leave the ends long, chuck on a finishing nail driven into the long end and have a friend spin it in a plastic v-notched guide while you hold a sanding block to chamfer.

For your assembly guide, if pieces are straight and round you only need a piece of angle iron or similar long V-section thing and it will align perfectly. Use a small compass or miter square to find center and punch it before pilot drilling a 1/8" hole through a guide block set perpendicular.