Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KevinAnniPadda OP t1_j4m43dm wrote

Shuggaloaf t1_j4mckon wrote

A 20# tank is about 4.6 gallons so even at 70% you'd have about 3.2 gallons. More than the 2 gallons you used.

That's a pretty thin margin though so I would suggest you find a supplier in your area with 40 or 50 # tanks. That way if you have a cold snap you won't have to run out in the middle of it to refill. Also shouldn't be too large so that you have an issue transporting it.

Tutor_Turtle t1_j4mnih3 wrote

This is the best way. Most people don't realize that propane tanks are sold as pounds of propane capacity, whereas liquid propane is sold as gallons. A gallon of propane weights more than a pound.

Juxtapoisson t1_j4mong5 wrote

Is there any drawback to simply having two 20lb tanks? Switching w/ out leaving the property isn't so bad. Obviously OPs situation is more complicated than my outdoor grill.

Shuggaloaf t1_j4mtp3w wrote

I would guess not. Only issue I can imagine is if the 20lb tank has too low of a pressure (but again I would guess not). Can't be for sure though so I don't want to give any definite answer.

Bleethesheep t1_j4ms055 wrote

You’ll need to transport it vertically. Once home strap it to a handtruck and wheel it down a ramp. To where ever you plan to keep it. I would advise a tie dow. For the tank.

https://youtu.be/mApuvB3Ll2M

Here is a video of a elderly couple loading 100 pound tanks off a trailer.

wyonugget t1_j4ni3fe wrote

I think he meant 100 lb, not gallons. 100 gallon would be ~400 lbs! 100lb tank is still heavy though.

Adskii t1_j4m5a6g wrote

They aren't hard to handle when empty... when full... you usually need a furniture Dolly.

KevinAnniPadda OP t1_j4m6wim wrote

And a truck to take it somewhere I'm assuming. I'm probably not able to put it in the minivan.

dotnofoolin t1_j4mhj6j wrote

The place where I refill my large tank requires an open vehicle (like a truck) and for the tank to be transported upright when you leave.

Since you only burn 2 gallons or so a winter, you can probably get by on a full 100 gallon tank for a few years (assuming you don't have to burn a pilot light all the time). And when it's empty, find a friend with a truck, or rent a Uhaul or Home Depot truck for an hour and transport it yourself.

Adskii t1_j4me6il wrote

The back of my Minivan is lower than the bed of most trucks.

My buddy who has a large tank like that absolutely uses his truck, but I'd lay down the seats and toss it in my Van if I needed to.

Probably not ideal.

−3

VonGrugen t1_j4or78m wrote

Some 100lb tanks will have a liquid overflow valve and if you lay the tank down, you're going to have propane vapor all over your vehicle. Propane tanks need to be transported upright

Source, director of sales for a large fuel/propane distributor. I basically fuckin Hank Hill at this point.

Adskii t1_j4smxrm wrote

Good to know.

I've got a tank that looks like it came off of a forklift, how hard is it to adapt to a normal fitting? Amy unseen pitfalls there?

Bleethesheep t1_j4nboom wrote

Use a hand truck. Problem is transporting it. As it should be vertical. Hopefully you have a trailer or pickup truck.

doingthehumptydance t1_j4nwsn3 wrote

You don’t they are heavy and awkward, you need a helper. Just get a 20 lb tank and you will be fine. I used to have 2-80 pound tanks and switched to 2-20 lb tanks without a problem. They power a propane stove.