Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kingofzdom t1_j6lidcj wrote

It's got nothing to do with them being "modern"

This was literally their express purpose when they were invented; to keep moisture out of moisture sensitive machinery in factories. It was just a bonus that it also made things cooler.

[deleted] OP t1_j6lr6br wrote

I'm referring to modern domestic Airconditioners. I believe the early ones were very unsophisticated. Please correct me if I'm wrong. These days all domestic units dehumidify whether on heat or cool cycle (per the referenced article).

−1

chopsuwe t1_j6lxsbp wrote

Your submission has been removed for one or more of the following reason(s):

• You are asking about a project that someone else did, or you're considering having someone else do.
  • You are not asking a question relating to something DIY.
  • You are not asking a question at all.
  • You are submitting a "DIY Tips" or "Tricks" post.
  • You are trying to submit a survey / fundraiser.
  • You are asking what an item is called - try /r/whatisthisthing.
  • /r/DIY allows only two types of posts - finished projects & help requests.
  • If your submission is neither of these - it will be removed.

Please read our Full Sub Rules before resubmitting.

If you believe this was a mistake, please message the moderators.

###Do not respond to this comment - you will not receive a response.

[deleted] OP t1_j6lzfe9 wrote

Smart arse

chopsuwe t1_j6pfwa7 wrote

By all means have a discussion, just don't post off topic threads to do it. Whether it was me or another mod this post was always going to be removed.

Anyway, from the link you posted:

> A condenser draws heat out of the air by condensing it into a liquid. The resulting liquid is significantly cooler than the air it started as. This process results in condensation on the condenser, which is then sent down a drain.

The condenser is the cold side of a heat pump. In cooling mode that's the indoor unit, in heating mode it's the outdoor unit.

Heat pumps, refrigerators, traditional air conditioning units and compressor dehumidifiers all work the same way. They circulate refrigerant gas through a pair of radiators, one gets cold (condenser) while the other gets hot (evaporator). The only difference is that heap pumps can reverse the direction so that the hot and cold sides swap over.

Dehumidifying happens when moisture in the air condenses on the cold side and is drained away as water. In heating mode the cold side is the outdoor unit, which is why you'll see a puddle of water under the outdoor unit when it's cooling. So there is no way for the heat pump to dehumidify indoor air when in heating mode.

> Drying mode maintains the humidity level in your home by switching between heating and cooling modes while maintaining the desired temperature.

That's what I said in the other post. They alternate between cooling which dehumidifies the air and heating so that the room doesn't cool down.