Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NotWorthTheTimeX t1_j68nduf wrote

Any photos? Typically there’s a check valve on the discharge line where you can unscrew the bands on the rubber collars. If you don’t have one you should add it or at the very least cut the pipe and reconnect with a Fernco coupling.

[deleted] OP t1_j68ttrc wrote

[deleted]

NotWorthTheTimeX t1_j68wneu wrote

Your pit looks bone dry. Do you hear the pump run ever? Normally there should be 1-4” of water in the bottom at all times depending on your pump but I only see some dry dirt in your pit.

Yours is so dry I wouldn’t worry about changing the pump. If you want to have one on standby you can. When it comes times to replace it just cut the pipe near the 90 and reconnect with a Fernco coupling.

I’ve seen a few dry pits before and they were due to not being properly hooked up to the perimeter drain system. No reasonable fix for that and as long as you don’t have other ground water issues you’re all set.

[deleted] OP t1_j68xge9 wrote

[deleted]

NotWorthTheTimeX t1_j69029w wrote

Your area is pretty dry then. In almost all the houses I’ve worked in they usually run at least daily, year round. With rain fall they can run multiple times per hour.

[deleted] OP t1_j691tgz wrote

[deleted]

NotWorthTheTimeX t1_j697q6i wrote

Ah, you’re in a very different climate than me.

I forgot to directly answer your question. My area uses PVC rather than ABS but a reciprocating saw or oscillating saw will cut through it nicely. Dragging a utility knife across is backwards will shave off the burrs. Truly, any handsaw would cut through it. Just depends what tools you already own and how much you want to spend.

GrimResistance t1_j6ilat3 wrote

Cut the horizontal pipe and use a fernco coupler to connect it back together when you're done.

Get all that silt out of the pit while you're at it, that's most likely to kill your pump.
I agree that if your pump is still working there's no need to replace it right now.