Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

haze_gray t1_j3qsy6z wrote

Why not just use pallets as a floor? That will give you airflow and they are cheap. Wood coming into contact with the ground can cause it to rot.

Barbadosslims OP t1_j3r94b2 wrote

Ding ding ding, I have no idea why that didn't occur to me ahead of time. Glad I asked.

Cannablitzed t1_j3tfnor wrote

If you can score some plastic milk crates or 20oz soda flats, even better for the floor. Super strong. Wonโ€™t ever rot. Can rinse and reset as needed over time. Worked under moms woodpile for 15 years or more.

trashycollector t1_j3vvrv7 wrote

Before you buy pallets check around there are some places that send them to the dump. I have gotten a lot of free pallets when needed.

here-for-the-_____ t1_j3w20ew wrote

That's what I have. Keeps the wood off the ground and keeps it dry. Works like a charm and you can get them for free in industrial areas. They don't need to be pretty, and businesses are always throwing out broken ones

ghostcat_crafting t1_j3sax32 wrote

I would put gravel between the dirt and the pallets. That way if there is any water, it can drain away instead of standing and soaking the pallets getting them all nasty.

tohellwitclevernames t1_j3t64rw wrote

Dig up a couple inches of soil and put some geotech fabric under the stone. It'll stop the stones from being quickly absorbed in the mud and needing to be replaced every few years.

ghostcat_crafting t1_j3wclhi wrote

Thank you, saving that tip for a rainy day. (My shed has a concrete floor but you never know..)

cecil021 t1_j3sgjhq wrote

I was going to suggest that as well. Help keep the wood from rotting.

Shopshack t1_j3sol0a wrote

You guys are right on the $!. Put down visqueen/6 mil poly, covered by gravel. Source plastic pallets - cut them in half if you can't go full depth. I got mine for free. My woodshed is full depth pallets on one wall and half depth on the end and opposite walls.

PedagogyOtheDeceased t1_j3rvtuj wrote

Yep, if you get a lot of rain this is the best idea. Plus, dirt already has a lot of moisture, you dont want to get moldy firewood.

Str8upSC t1_j3uctql wrote

I was thinking the same thing. And it keeps snakes from burrowing in the ground underneath the wood as well.

NaySp19 t1_j3ue8qp wrote

That's what we did in ours to aid in air circulation.