Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

b00gers t1_j6jj4ye wrote

Are you referring to the old style where there is a spring on each side without any rod? I have this style and always am concerned when I'm in the garage with the door closed. Should I be prioritizing updating it?

ObesePolice t1_j6jke8u wrote

Make sure a safety cable is installed then worry about something else.

Dontdothatfucker t1_j6jl4q1 wrote

Yup! Easy to instal a safety cable, that will keep them in place if it ever snaps. Worth replacing if you’re doing home improvement projects, but not dangerous or anything as long as you get cables

TheATrain218 t1_j6ko3cr wrote

When we bought my current house, we had two major emergency fixes to make.

Reseat a toilet leaking around the flange and....

...put safety cables in the garage springs.

My dad said "do the toilet; it's going to take longer and the water damage is a bigger issue than springs that haven't broken yet and probably won't anytime soon."

He was right, reseating that toilet took forever and we ran out of time. We left the house via the garage door, and as it was coming down THWANGGGGG.

Motherfucking spring let go and danced all over the garage. Thank God we weren't inside. Replaced all the springs, added safety cables, and no problems in the 5 years since.

buzzed-116 t1_j6mo7ln wrote

well, maybe the spring should have come first...more deadly and quicker...??? But a leaking toilet.....pretty serious too. Hind sight....