Submitted by sir_smokee t3_10pedvc in DIY

I recently began having flow issues with my food truck plumbing setup. It’s pretty basic with fresh and gray water tanks, a shurflo pump and a Bosch water heater. Pex connecting everything. Initially, hot water pressure was low on utility sink but fine on hand wash sink. Now, I’m not getting any pressure on hot or cold, either sink. I disconnected in-feed, and water was reaching the pump, I then disconnected suction side and again water was present. So it appears I’m getting suction. Could it be that my pump has failed? What else could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: after further inspection, it appears I’m actually not getting suction pressure on the pump. The pump motor is running, but little to no water on the suction side once the connection was removed.

EDIT 2: I disassembled the pump to inspect the diaphragm, etc. Nothing seemed to be amiss. I then essentially poured some water into the inlet side of the pump, reconnected the inlet line and turned on the power. It seems there was an air lock and the pump needed a little assistance with priming. Thanks everyone for your help! We’re back online :)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BdaBng t1_j6k7ju1 wrote

Is it a self priming pump? If not you might have to go through some sort of priming procedure. Although my guess is the pump isn’t, or at least wasn’t the issue.

I would think even with a vent clog you would get some pressure at first and then it would drop off. And different faucets having different pressure indicates to me it’s probably not the pump or vent.

I suspect the faucets inlets are clogged. To check the inlets of the faucet lines turn off water and remove the lines between the wall valve and where they connect to the faucet. There are usually screens that can clog up and kill the flow.

sir_smokee OP t1_j6k7qih wrote

Thank you! It is a self priming pump so I will check the faucet inlets.

BdaBng t1_j6k80jh wrote

If they are clogged you might need a sediment filter/screen on the incoming water line or after the pump.

Guygan t1_j6k0ho1 wrote

Is your fresh water tank vented?

sir_smokee OP t1_j6k0toz wrote

Yes

Guygan t1_j6k103c wrote

Is the vent clogged?

sir_smokee OP t1_j6k34vw wrote

Hmm I haven’t checked that. Would it clog by the fill port / vent ? Or the tubing?

MagicToolbox t1_j6k49kk wrote

It will clog in the most difficult to access location.

If you check there first, it will be clogged some where else - unless its not, in which case it is a different problem.

Guygan t1_j6k4c2v wrote

Check the vent for clogs. That’s where I’d start.

Mueltime t1_j6msyaa wrote

Still looking for help. Post on r/RVLiving