Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Mildly_Angry_Biscuit t1_j9hyedl wrote

Be careful about over-sanding that veneer. I would sand enough to get through the sealer. And if it were me I would use a pre-stain conditioner to try to help even the stain application. My favorite stain applicator for something like this is a regular cotton sock put over a nitrile glove - that way I can spread the stain with better control, run over spots that I may be having some trouble with, and help remove any excess applied stain with the back of my hand.

knittorney t1_j9idamy wrote

BRILLIANT idea for staining. Thank you for this!!

exipheas t1_j9ie2ll wrote

Go all the way and use some cheap cotton gloves over some nitrile gloves.

lostarchitect t1_j9ijs3i wrote

I think the nitrile not absorbing the stain is part of the point.

HoboMucus t1_j9iwm33 wrote

On top of, not instead of

Or rather, instead of the socks 😆

LeanDixLigma t1_j9iqfn0 wrote

and keeping the stain from absorbing into your skin.

Mildly_Angry_Biscuit t1_j9mgwvb wrote

I've found the sock works even better. You can wiggle it around to expose less-coated areas, curl your fingers down and expose more area closer to the top of the sock to absorb/spread more stain, and getting the sock off of the nitrile is easier. Plus old socks are free! The reason I specified nitrile instead of latex for the base glove is to help resist the stain. Latex will start to allow some stains to bleed through. I use 5 mil nitriles, and they're great.

Mildly_Angry_Biscuit t1_j9msiiq wrote

Glad you liked it! Started doing the 'sock technique' a few decades ago, and I'm at the point now where its my go-to, especially on woods that take stain up a little differently in patches. Not having brushes to clean up is a huge plus, too!