Submitted by Insecurebishh t3_115jsls in DIY

Can i somehow add this in airdry clay? How can I combine this project with clay? I was thinking of cutting the strip on the side of matchbox and attaching it on clay but maybe there's an alternative of making it yourself. From my research I've found out that it's red phosphorus and due to their reaction of rubbing the matchstick on phosphorus, it burns. But some places also mentioned they add powdered glass to it, in order to make the surface extra rough (not sure I'd be able to do that at home)

Has anyone ever done it before?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Celtic_Jedi t1_j921cs4 wrote

If you get the strike anywhere matches (white tip), you could just attach a piece of fine grit sandpaper (~400 grit). Would work like a charm methinks.

Insecurebishh OP t1_j95pbxd wrote

This is a great idea for myself! Actually i wanted to develop it into a product, it would be a limitation for the customers because these matchsticks are not commonly available in my country :(

SamBrico246 t1_j9315g8 wrote

What's the goal? To make clay that works as a match striker?

The red phosphorous is critical, it's what makes it all work. It bridges the gap between how much heat you have rubbing wood on powdered glass, and what it takes to light the fuel on the match head.

I'm pretty sure red phosphorous is not straight forward to purchase. And even if you could, coating clay in it would be a hazard.

Insecurebishh OP t1_j9562m9 wrote

The goal was to create a customised cute little matchstick holder for the candle for my small business, then i thought if they have to use the match box for lighting them up anyway, what's the use of it?

The solution which came to my mind was cutting off the strip from the side of the matchbox and attaching it with the sides, but it's just the brand name will also be written there so not sure how good of an idea it is?

Insecurebishh OP t1_j956hor wrote

Another idea was to use strike anywhere matchsticks and a strip of sandpaper attached but it's not feasible to limit the kind of matchsticks customers can use? Like if they run out of the matchsticks i sent them, it's not useful?

GrimResistance t1_j95meui wrote

You can buy adhesive match striker stickers.

Example: 0.5"x2" Match Striker Stickers Strike Paper Adhesive Pre-Cut Matches Lighting Strip (50 Pieces, Honeycomb) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4Z2M9ZF