Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

LeKy411 t1_j9pc5kp wrote

Your never going to get that crack to be water tight. If you can find a replacement tank get a new tank, but otherwise just swap out the toilet. It can be totally DIYed with minimal tools.

flufferpuppper t1_j9qotid wrote

Yep, it’s super easy! I’m a single woman, who is fairly handy and can figure stuff out and have been slowly renovating my house by myself, but replacing the toilet intimidated me so I just turned the water off for like 2 months and used a different bathroom lol. Untill final the other day I just did it. Watched a video, got a new toilet. Replaced it. Honestly easiest diy thing I’ve ever done. A plumber is absolutely not needed for this unless there’s an issue with the water line coming in. It was comical how easy it was!

phormix t1_j9rj3hw wrote

Also, if you're buying a toilet pick up a new wax/etc seal. You will need to replace that with the old one

linuxares t1_j9rm78w wrote

My place just put some silicon for bathroom around the bottom. Apparently how you do it here.

phormix t1_j9rqwp1 wrote

That's for the outside edge. The wax seal thingy goes on the inside where the toilet meets the drain hole.

There are also reusable rubber types so maybe there already was one?

linuxares t1_j9rr5rf wrote

Oh that I don't know. It weren't there when they changed it. They just told me they changed the toilet and put a silicon seal around the edge. So they probably changed it as well. Since the other toilet that was there was atleast 10+ years old and started to crack in the bottom.

sirchrisalot t1_j9rtz00 wrote

IMO the silicone around the base isn't a requirement. I think it is useful for uneven tile floors where the toilet might be inclined to rock slightly when weighted or floors where dirt could easily be awept under the toilet base.

linuxares t1_j9urtbd wrote

Oh thats why! Yeah the tile floor is a bit wonky