Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DickeyDooEd t1_j9rpg90 wrote

You can use your cement board to end where you want and just use some sheet membrane out to the area the tiles extend. I myself don't care for cement board as it's not waterproof at all. But use Laticrete Hydroban board and sheet membrane on the edge and or Schluter and Mapei now makes waterproof board also. Much easier to work with. Not a fan of the Schluter but to each his own. Look up Sal Diblasi on U tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_EvJa3SYE and his latest video shows what to do with that area your worried about.

original_and_amusing OP t1_j9rsv9k wrote

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not set on cement board, it was just my understanding of what I should use. I was thinking of hiring someone to do the tile so maybe I'll pass over your suggestion to them.

loganab13 t1_j9rund4 wrote

Cement board is more than sufficient. The other options are nice and a lot easier to work with, but are also a lot more expensive. I’ve been in some form of residential or commercial construction for nearly two decades and 95% of the tile jobs in bathrooms had cement board behind them. Make sure your tile guy tapes the seams with fiber mesh and floats the joints with thinset and you won’t have any issues.