Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

keyserv t1_j9rtadt wrote

Either I suck at cleaning grout, or it's just really difficult to do. But I can never get it clean when it's so far gone. If you can't scour it with muriatic acid, you can grind it down in a couple different ways and re-grout.

AccomplishedEnergy24 t1_j9s165v wrote

You basically have to steam it repeatedly until you have gotten it all out of the pores.

If you want it to be easy to clean, don't use cement grouts. Polymer additives that promise stain proofness are not good enough Cement is quite porous, and so stuff gets in the pores and gets very stuck. Or just plain absorbed (in the case of oils, for example).

Polymer modified cement does not fix this. It just makes it a bit more flexible. LIke modified vs non-modified thinset.

Use reactive resin grouts, epoxy grouts, etc.

Then it will always be cleanable because they are not very porous (and some are just non-porous), so nothing can really soak into them except by being left forever, or being a chemical the grout is weak to softening the grout enough for something to stain it.

It takes me like 5 minutes with a steam cleaner to clean the grout in the bathrooms that have resin grouts from "a 6 year old uses this bathroom" to "it looks as new as the day it was made"

(Epoxy grout is nicer but if you don't get an aliphatic epoxy grout it will yellow in UV. Most people are not running around calling the tech line to talk about the chemistry of the grout, so resin grouts are usually a more solid DIY choice)

loumatic t1_j9tp90f wrote

What steam cleaner do you use? The type I'm picturing is confusing me with this application

AccomplishedEnergy24 t1_j9tr36m wrote

I have a handheld, and borrow a non-handheld if i have to.

The handheld is one of the variants you find if you search amazon for "handheld steam cleaner". There are a few real companies there (dupray, etc), and the rest is everyone selling the same mass-produced models.

I have one of those :)

If you are trying to steam clean cement grout, then using something larger because it will take a bunch of steam pressure to clean it.

For a non-cement grout, it's usually just stuff stuck on top, so it takes a lot less steam to get anywhere. Just enough heat + pressure to unstick it. Which is easy for a handheld.

foxrue OP t1_j9thk9r wrote

This is really good to know. Thank you!

RideAndShoot t1_j9s3gn9 wrote

XLGC is your friend. It’s non acidic but works like a muriatic acid. It bubbles up on dirty grout like hydrogen peroxide does on dirty wounds. It’s made by XL north and it’s their Grout Cleaner. Don’t use it on natural stone as it will etch it. And don’t splash it on stainless steel for the same reason.

Source: I’m a tile contractor.

keyserv t1_j9tfswj wrote

Never heard of it, but it sounds amazing!