Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SteeleRain01 t1_ja6ceju wrote

Don't put any liquid membrane on the inside, I don't think that's ever a good idea and the potential pressure build up will eventually cause it to fail. I'm a huge fan of the dimple matt approach. One side of my basement, the floor is at ground level. I ran dimple matt from that side on the floor, and up the wall on the other side covering the wall that touches the dirt. On the opposite wall where I started the dimple mat at the floor, I just did rigid foam because I didn't need possible water barrier on that wall. For the wall with the dimple mat, frame a 24" OC wall over the dimple mat and fill with rockwool.

Mr_brighttt OP t1_ja6efxy wrote

I don’t necessarily want to frame a wall in over the top. I was hoping be able to do just rigid insulation on top of a dimple mat if helpful and then an FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) panel or something similar on top of that. Maybe plywood. It’s not ever gonna be a completely finished space. I just want it to be insulated

SteeleRain01 t1_ja6hv4b wrote

Tracking. How would you keep a wall sandwich like that together? If you use something like furring strips, you'll end up drilling so many holes through the dimple mat into the wall it seems like it defeats the purpose. I did the wall more to hold my dimple mat in place AND give space for an insulation R-value cheaper than using foam.

Mr_brighttt OP t1_ja6ia3p wrote

Hoping there’s an adhesive I could bond the rigid insulation to the plastic panels. If it’s plywood, you make a good point. Maybe I should use 1x2 furring strips with concrete anchors, then the rigid foam, then the plywood. That would allow for secure ways to attach shelving for myself and future owners without having to go down the concrete anchor route again.

the_real_abraham t1_ja6wgii wrote

Everything I found online said don't do anything you just said you did. You'll have to fix it very soon.

Mr_brighttt OP t1_ja8aitf wrote

Well it would be helpful if you posted the right way to do things then. Or at least discuss specifics on my plan.

the_real_abraham t1_ja8ulkh wrote

I'm just talking about my google experience. I started my search with "best way to attach foam board to concrete." Every article I read started with, "This is not recommended but if you're set on it..." I ended up on this ad which was very informative and similar to my situation. I know this is a DIY sub but sometimes it's just not worth it and reputable companies provide warranties. A good warranty is worth it's weight in gold.

SteeleRain01 t1_ja7q81g wrote

There are so many different approaches for sure. Using dimple mat on the basement floor with plywood subfloor is a widely accepted practice. I could find no logical reason why taped and sealed dimple mat on the walls wouldn't work as well. I do know since I've done it, my basement is 100 times dryer and more comfortable. This article informed a lot of my decisions. Ihttps://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/carmic-house-taming-a-basement-from-hell