Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BodePlotHole t1_iqrrrp9 wrote

His cookbook was a great read cover to cover.

ma9ellan t1_iqrufjv wrote

His kids still run the new incarnation of Shopsin's as far as I know. A real institution in more ways than one.

samsungs666 t1_iqryu1z wrote

I watched this around 04-05 and I still think about it pretty often.

Bopafly t1_iqsb0ie wrote

I also like killing flies.

Zuzublue t1_iqse90r wrote

Love this doc. That kitchen is something to behold.

Crystlayers t1_iqsuqns wrote

We went to Shopsins at the Essex market a while before he died. Our kid ate a ton of bacon and he sent someone to get her a toy. It was a bath toy- we’ve still got it 5 years later. The food was great and the atmosphere was warm (lively conversation all around and his family was in and out). It was a nice place and def felt like a locals spot. The cookbook is worth getting- a good read for sure

Ipollute t1_iqswpke wrote

Amazing. Raw. A lot of real stories. So much growth and maturity and honesty shown even in the small stories.

jbarinsd t1_iqtat8q wrote

I’ve thought about keeping my spices in little plastic drawers like he does ever since I watched this. It’s some kind of tool box thing if I recall. Normally for nuts and screws.

LordLargo t1_iqtd7fe wrote

This is my absolute favorite documentary on planet earth, and even probably in my top 10 films of all time. It was soooo hard to find a DVD of this documentary. I watched this on Netflix back in the days when streaming was just getting going. Back then there was maybe a few classic films and some kind of meh TV shows on there, but also lots of documentaries and this was one of them.

Let me tell you that I never met Kenny Shopsin, but this dude changed my life, without a doubt.

LordLargo t1_iqtfvbk wrote

"Because no matter what they do, the next enemy is going to be from within. Thus the eventual outcome of all fly killings and what not like that. Once you get rid of all the external enemy, you have to deal with yourself. So even if you solve all the outside evil you are left with your own, and the evil your parents did to you and the evil that all parents to do all people. Anyway, I like killing flies."

An absolute fucking prophet.

cyclone_f5 t1_iqua9i4 wrote

Absolutely one of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen! I’m so happy to see this on Reddit.

prince0verit t1_iqughtm wrote

Best quote of the doc:

"You know there's a lot of things on our menu if you put it together, you can go someplace I've never been. I took a Banana Boat and I put bananas in it and I took ice cream scoop and I made pulled pork and coleslaw in a... like an ice cream sundae, I called it a BBQ Banana Split. It's almost like putting your dick into the wrong hole, there's like a thrill to it. There's friction that occurs when you put an ingredient in an improper dish. That's the basis for all fusion cooking is that there's a sexual friction that's caused by putting the wrong food in the wrong place and sometimes it works but not always."

geistmeister111 t1_iquo09z wrote

this was on the sundance channel or independent film channel back in the day.

djthinking t1_iquu7j7 wrote

Ate at Shopsins in Essex Market when I last visited NYC (I'm from UK) in early 2016.

Was hungover to fuck and totally bamboozled by the insane menu (Google it!). The server was the owner's son and was, to us, an incredibly amusing blend of slightly begrudging hospitality and knowing Noo Yoik verbal abuse.

Amazing food, I still think about those mac & cheese pancakes with brisket hash. Thanks for linking the video, didn't know it existed and am looking forward to watching it.

qwertywtf t1_iquwwrk wrote

I read the title as "profanity-prone woman" and thought the thumbnail was Miriam Margolyes

TouchedByAngelo t1_iquxz0q wrote

YES! I also watched this on Netflix back in the day. Loved it. They used to have such awesome documentaries.

I remember one that was about those people who dress up as movie characters to get money from tourists in Hollywood - I think outside the Chinese theatre. Can't for the life of me remember what that doc was called?

EDIT: The Reinactors - thats what it was!

Real-Ad4878 t1_iqv5nyx wrote

Haven"t seen this in years......loved it!

LouQuacious t1_iqvnu2o wrote

I ate there in 2008 or 2009, Kenny was asleep in the entry way and you had to quietly step over his outstretched legs to not disturb him. His son was super nice. The dish I had was pancakes with bacon and mac-n-cheese it was super delicious and perfect for my hangover.

taxmamma2 t1_iqyx3gi wrote

Someone actually uploaded it to YouTube so you can watch it in it’s entirety if interested in seeing it. I’m actually just finishing it up now