Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ASpiralKnight t1_jbaojjy wrote

The picture doesn't capture just how dynamic and loud the area is.

The waves crash and retreat with a constant roar. The birds argue over each other loudly. The wind and reflections keep constant motion. The seals and birds hunt fish.

On first seeing it I felt like I was watching a once in a lifetime event, but as interesting things keep happening I realize it's just the nature of the place. It teems with life.

IRErover t1_jbaq8ux wrote

Great description. One of my favorite days/hikes.

I’d only add the sense of smell. The freshness of the ocean and pines along with the pungent smell of animals living life.

Total immersion of the senses. Bathing in nature

zack6595 t1_jbbf5hc wrote

Man you and I had differing expectations here. Point lobos is great but the smell of bird island is literally just bird shit. It smells awful. Nice park, stunning views, but the smell was not the selling point for me by ANY means.

gerzzy t1_jbbq39r wrote

Glad someone said it. That’s definitely something not captured in any of the gorgeous photos I took there.

FancyRatFridays t1_jbbd8hg wrote

The contrast is what gets me. One moment you'll be immersed in the motion and the noise of the cliff along the shoreline--and then the path turns and heads into the trees. In just a minute, the waves and seabirds have faded to a dull, distant roar, and the wind dies, and you can hear distant songbirds calling in the eternal calm of the woods.

GenX-73 t1_jbb16yz wrote

bosscher47 t1_jbc26su wrote

You must do the 17 mile drive BEFORE you do Point Lobos. Otherwise you'll be terribly disappointed. Point Lobos blows away 17m. And it's not even close.

Missmoneysterling t1_jbdbv4l wrote

True. I just did them in reverse last month and kept saying "We should go back to Point Lobos!" The otters, dolphins, seals, sea lions, etc. were just mind blowing.

wongkerz t1_jbc8rpm wrote

I did the drive last year and it was underwhelming. If you enjoy looking at McMansions I guess it's a good drive?

Poopiepants29 t1_jbcqjal wrote

The few homes I remember in the forest are the opposite of what I would call McMansions.

GenX-73 t1_jbctsar wrote

Last time I was there was early 90's...

Bowldoza t1_jbb2zwy wrote

The most amazing part is that it's not even 17 miles

ekeron t1_jbcn4f1 wrote

Don't forget the sea otters. I would spend hours just watching them break shells with a rock balanced on their stomach. It's my happy place.

Gooey2113 t1_jbcaeqw wrote

It’s also very difficult to smoke a bowl…I suggest joints.

soysssauce t1_jbdrobs wrote

>Point Lobos State Park

sorry to break your beautiful word, but birds are not arguing, they are trying to fuck each other.