Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

soswimwithit t1_jdhkemg wrote

Dumb story for you all.

I was here in my early twenties with a buddy, we had driven to the Black Elk Wilderness for a week of hiking and decided to make a day trip of it on the way home.

We drove around taking in the scenery and goofing off with each other as degenerate youth do. We decided we wanted to stop by the ranger station to share with them how funny we were.

When we got there, we both put on our sunglasses and walked into the station all serious looking. Saying nothing, we walked around the room eyeing things up and down, picking things up and acting like we were scoping out the place. When we had built up the tension with the ranger at the desk, it was ready for the finale.

We both slowly walked up to the desk, and the ranger looks up at us with a calm confusion about what our deal was. She says something along the lines of the standard, "How may I help you two?".

After a brief pause, I look at her and say... "Now Ma'am, were not from around these parts. But in your role as a ranger as this here park, you must know a great deal about the surrounding area. So my question is... would you consider these Lands to be good?... * dramatically lowers sunglasses* "...or Bad?"

She stares back at me unwavering, then cracked a grin. My friend and I both start laughing. She starts laughing. We exchanged pleasantries and got on with our day.

I hope we were able to break up the monotony of that park rangers day even but for a moment, but it's a fond memory I have from a simpler time in my life.

stanley604 t1_jdi4nu3 wrote

They're not bad, they're just drawn that way.

chaotic----neutral t1_jditm5v wrote

>Weather in Badlands National Park is variable and unpredictable with temperature extremes ranging from 116°F to -40°F.

They're aptly named.

jillyhoop t1_jdjdhtj wrote

Not a dumb story. A fun story and I'm glad tou shared. I hope you still do a little of that now and then.

Ztscar t1_jdk2nx6 wrote

You're right, that was a dumb story. I love it! Kudos!