Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_iv0p6kh wrote

Hi mrsqueevoot! Dont worry, this message does not mean that your post is removed. This is a reminder to quickly check your post to make sure it doesnt break any of our rules. Human moderators check the following --

Thanks!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

glissader t1_iv1hi9u wrote

Is that an Australian snow gum? I don’t know doo dah about Australian trees, but that sheds bark like a madrone. Pretty cool!

brezhnervous t1_iv1jo9n wrote

That's why the whole country burns so easily....gum trees shed bark and leaves all year round so there's a mass of dry tinder (plus the eucalyptus oils themselves are incendiary lol)

Key-Cry-8570 t1_iv29gfr wrote

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a picture of snow in Australia

gif

LCxSmash t1_iv2j8uy wrote

Dumb but serious questions: Isn’t the Alps mountain range in Europe? Is this just another mountain range with the same name?

Benu5 t1_iv3q0tn wrote

It's a shortening of 'Alpine', and is used to describe lots of Alpine regions. For Australia, what counts as the 'Alps' is generally the parts of the Great Dividing Range that get yearly snow.

andariel_axe t1_iv44h7u wrote

the trees are meant to regularly burn, some seeds don't release from nuts without heat. that said, global warming is permanently fucking shit up and the landscape is burning more for longer and will not recover as it used to :/

brezhnervous t1_iv4k08l wrote

Absolutely yes. And as you say, we are at the very pointy end of climate change anyway due to the traditional prevailing weather extremes, so any increase in world climate systems instability is going to be felt here before many other places.

brezhnervous t1_iv4ka95 wrote

Well you have now lol

I've only travelled down to see the snow once about almost 30 years ago, and its the most disconcerting feeling to see the tops of gum trees sticking out of the snow. Walking around and knowing logically you were 5+ metres off the ground is an utterly bizarre notion lol

orlock t1_iv4y6wd wrote

The mountains on the border of NSW and Victoria get snow every year. Enough for a ski season and plants and animals that have evolved to live there. The trees in the picture are ... suprise! ... snowgums, which have the most glorious bark colours.

King_Ghoost t1_iv6n2tb wrote

For a hot second I thought this was a painting, nature is lit man