Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

85gaucho OP t1_j1eemda wrote

In the summer the rim drive is open, so you can drive around the entire rim. There are a few peaks you can hike up for a less crowded view. Cleetwood cove is fun for kids - hike down a mile or so and you can swim in the lake. It’s only “kinda uncomfortably cold” if you’re late enough in the season 😂

phrique t1_j1epy1x wrote

We're going in July. My youngest is 10, oldest is 16. We've done about a dozen of the ADK high peaks, so they do really enjoy a good hike and are fine with longish outings.

85gaucho OP t1_j1esidc wrote

Awesome! July should be early enough that it's not smokey (fingers crossed). If it's really hot, I'd definitely recommend Cleetwood cove, even though the Water will still be pretty cold in July.

As for other hikes, I haven't done much there in the summer. I think the park newspaper lists a few. Maybe just swing by the visitors center and ask a ranger or check out alltrails.

If you're looking for a nearby peak, Mcloughlin is pretty fun and would likely be age appropriate for your family. Mt Theilson is awesome and very close to Crater lake, but the summit scramble may be a bit much for the kids, unless they're climbers.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I recently moved but lived in the area for a decade.

​

edit: here's the newspaper

phrique t1_j1ew2ni wrote

Appreciate the information! My kids honestly love a scramble, so I'll have to look into theilson.

85gaucho OP t1_j1eymfx wrote

my pleasure.

Careful on Theilsen, there's lots of exposure on the summit spire. I enjoy risk, but wouldn't take me kiddo (10) up there without having him on belay.

There's a place called chicken out ledge (or something similar) at the base of the summit spire, that is safe to get to, but the last 100 feet or so is dangerous for kids. The scrambling itself is not as hard as it looks in the pictures, but it is very exposed, in some places a fall would be fatal.

If you happen to be coming from the south, pilot rock near mt ashland is a better scramble for kids. Doable without any gear. My kid first went up when he was 5. It's not nothing though, and would still be fun for teenagers.

phrique t1_j1f5vbg wrote

Awesome! Will take a look at those options. I don't mind stopping short if it's dangerous.