Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

islandpancakes t1_j5hfa96 wrote

Question: I traveled through SE Asia expecting beautiful beaches. I ended up being quite surprised at the amount of plastic in the water and on the beach. If you are sticking the the tourist trail in Costa Rica, are you still going to find a similar level of plastic on the beaches? Or is this the place to go for clean waters/beaches?

saitouamaya t1_j5hpwc3 wrote

I've visited a few beaches in Costa Rica and all were very clean and litter free. Costa Rica is a big eco-tourism destination and the country really prides itself on bring environmentally conscious.

Floating0821 t1_j5hx7cd wrote

The beach in this picture, Manuel Antonio, is one of the most "touristy" beaches in CR and I visited during peak season and it looked just as beautiful in person. It's not perfect by no means but the beaches are as advertised.

Unfortunately, SE Asia and In particular Indonesia beaches have a truly shocking amount of litter.

G4B4L0 t1_j5lmamf wrote

In this specific national park (and in others as well) they restrict the items you can bring in, to avoid littering and interfering with wildlife. It's also well maintained/cleaned by the authorities. So yeah it's pretty clean!