Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Lexi_Banner t1_j3mz98v wrote

Oh, I know. I'd far rather go to Yoho, even though it's less convenient. Much prettier, and far less crowds.

SaltLakeCitySlicker t1_j3n23fh wrote

I find these convos so funny. So, Zion gets posted here often (usually the lazy pic on the bridge) and people always talk about the crowd. I want to chip in on a better place but loose lips sink ships

Lexi_Banner t1_j3n2szz wrote

Zion is stunning! I had the privilege of going through in the early, early season the first time. Next to no other traffic on the roads. Easy to park. Awesome!

It was not the same when we went there this past June. LOL

SaltLakeCitySlicker t1_j3n66e8 wrote

Nobody local goes there in peak summer bc crowds. Or at least nobody I know.

I think they actually started a quota like arches? Or maybe it's just for angels landing? I forget. Haven't been there in several years bc there are the aforementioned better places

vandrea_2009 t1_j3oryc7 wrote

Yes everyone go to Zion, it's beautiful 😍. Banff is trash don't come here.

savageotter t1_j3n1afm wrote

It's the tour busses that are such a nightmare

Lexi_Banner t1_j3n2gon wrote

Yup. Lake Louise, too. I got up extra early when I was camping at Kananaskis. Left my campsite at about 3:30am. Got there around 5ish. Moraine lots were already full, and I managed to snag one of the last parking spots at Lake Louise. The front dock was beyond crowded already. At 5am.

Just insane. I'm glad that people love the natural beauty of our country, for sure! And it has pushed me to lesser known areas, which was enjoyable. But it'd be nice to go to Moraine Lake without a zillion other people running around with selfie sticks!

HoneyBunchesOfGoats_ t1_j3n7cwv wrote

It depends on time of year. I went in February at sunrise and ice skated on Louise with just a couple other people. After we finished more people started arriving.

DETpatsfan t1_j3nacmq wrote

This was my experience as well. Stayed at the fairmont in December 2018 and it was pretty empty. Only thing that sucked was the road to Moraine was closed so you had to snowshoe if you wanted to see it.

cre8ivjay t1_j3p9k3c wrote

Fall is even more quiet. Early October is ridiculously beautiful and pretty quiet. Actually, in September and October you can travel the Rockies in Canada from Waterton to Jasper and have much of it to yourself.

Granted not everything is open during this time but...

Cerinthus2 t1_j3nlbtp wrote

Moraine was fucking insane this year.

Was nice during covid. Even the Johnston canyon trail was empty.

Lexi_Banner t1_j3nlpnc wrote

I didn't get to the area during covid (out of province restrictions). So jealous that you got to see it all nice and quiet!

ArthurMorgans_TB t1_j3ol7r0 wrote

I go to barrier lake. It gets busy on long weekends and stuff but I've been a bunch of times when it was pretty dead.