Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

playfulmessenger t1_j6ci9ng wrote

not op, but I thought Moloka'i was the native Hawaiians only island that only allowed outsiders by invitation only so they could preserve culture and lifestyle closer to the ancient teachings.

MarstonX t1_j6clvhz wrote

Nah that's Niihau. Molokai is a bit different from Hawaii, Oahu and Maui, but it's weird to say that it's unlike what most people think of when they think Hawaii.

I'm not sure what people's perception of Hawaii in general vs Molokai is, that's kind of what I'm asking. Molokai is an island paradise, much like the rest of Hawaii.

kw661 t1_j6dgz7k wrote

All the islands are incredibly unique. Molokai is not for pussies.

JewishFightClub t1_j6e1hon wrote

Fun fact: Niihau is owned by a white family that graciously let's the Hawaiian locals remain there

slugator t1_j6ee9bw wrote

You’re thinking of Niihau, but the description you’re giving is essentially propaganda. Niihau is basically a privately owned feudal system fiefdom. People that make it off the island (usually to Kauai) generally don’t have very nice things to say about it.

playfulmessenger t1_j6f73zt wrote

This makes me very sad. I wanted so much for their culture to be alive and spreading goodness to their own without our interference. But I guess life never really works that way.