Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thejewdude22 t1_jdvuzgh wrote

Scientists discover another way how cancer cells evade immune system. Would be less clickbaity

etherified t1_jdwb72i wrote

Yeah, for example, it's been well known for years that one of the mechanisms used by evolving cancer cells is to express surface HLA-G, which suppresses or down-regulates the host immune response, giving cancer cells more of the time needed for their nefarious purposes.

(the same HLA-G class is also expressed on embryo cells, helping to suppress the mother's immune response so her body doesn't attack the gestating fetus as a foreign body.)

Crystal-Math-Adept t1_jdwpff9 wrote

I remember hearing about this last century

LimerickExplorer t1_jdx3klk wrote

>last century.

Jesus I'm old.

KevinTheSeaPickle t1_jdxw0td wrote

Me too:( my crows feet have crows feet... When will the crowsfootception end.

Rogermcfarley t1_jdzciym wrote

Jesus: Yeah wait until you have a mission 2000 years from now. I'm still getting ready.

StuartL73 t1_jdylbhb wrote

Now we are in "the roaring twenties " again.

scrangos t1_jdxyicp wrote

There was another super interesting one where one cancer cell hides inside another another cancer cell using it as armor to survive the killer t-cell attacks as those don't penetrate deep enough to kill them both. (the outer one does die tho) Once signs of the killer t-cells are gone then inner ones come out and resume operations.

jjayzx t1_jdxc0eh wrote

I would think they are trying to do this with implants to reduce immunosuppressants or rid them altogether?