Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pattydo t1_jbkydkn wrote

>It's the same with all manner of student competotions and projects from the Putnam competition, the various DARPA challenges etc. The more a university promotes itself the more grant money and industry cooperation it's likely to get. It's actually good for both the students and the university as a whole.

This is very different than what OP is saying.

>The point is that it's a pointless, dead-end feature that was only implemented to generate superficial interest.

This is what's cynical.

MarmonRzohr t1_jbl2bay wrote

>This is what's cynical.

Really ?

If the carbon filtration as a feature of the car is not a dead-end what possible research or practial purpose does it serve then ?

If it does not have a research or pratical purpose - why add it ?

The student team and their mentors would obviously know this as well. The only conclusion I can see is to add a feature to the project car that would make it more interesting in a superficial way (i.e. with no deeper technical purpose). In other words they added "something cool" - carbon removal to a carbon neutral car.

The fact that the feature is used to make the project car seem more interesting is literally in the article in the description of the team lead.

It's also a central feature they spotlight on the project page: https://www.tuecomotive.nl/our-family/zem/

>This is very different than what OP is saying.

I don't think it is. This is a decently big project with quite a few sponsors and the university team has been building cars like this since 2013. Having the knowledge and resources to maintain such a team and a string of somewhat big projects which result in vehicles that are showcases of knowledge - that's a big thing for a university. It's a great pipeline for students to industry, attracts students, offers great learning opportunities and generally generates both press and a dose of prestige, just like the other examples I used.

pattydo t1_jbo40zp wrote

I know that some education systems in the world are trash, but sometimes good ones have you do things to teach you skills, not just learn how to repeat a process.

>If it does not have a research or pratical purpose - why add it ?

They were tasked with creating a carbon neutral car. That's one of the things they did to get there.