Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dudpixel t1_jc4ituj wrote

Once ai can write its own code it isn't just game over for programmers. It's game over for everyone. An ai that can replace programmers can also code a better ai, and with enough evolution can program any software anywhere, including the software that powers every business in the world.

Anyone who imagines that programmers will lose their jobs but the rest of the world will keep going as normal...doesn't understand how much of the world runs on software.

Programming will be one of the last jobs replaced by ai.

In the meantime ai will provide more and more powerful tools to allow programmers to create more powerful software in less time. Hopefully with less bugs.

SomethingAlex1 t1_jcxgybe wrote

Once the job of a software engineer is completely replaced it likely means we have solved logistical thinking and planning with AI.

Right now I can go download templates for apps/websites/ use website builders etc and none of these killed SEs yet AI still cant compete with a template that is already pre-made.

Once we solve logistical planning and AI can truly develop things, simultaneously we would've got rid of every job in the world. It would only be a matter of years before the AI designed robots, factories etc would replace physical labour in that instance.

dudpixel t1_jcxjo6z wrote

Exactly. Now, there are some caveats. Perhaps there is a gap between ai replacing "some" software engineering roles and "all" software engineering roles and during that time other jobs will continue.

Maybe the last 10% will prove difficult for ai. Who knows?

The bigger story here is not that jobs are being replaced. That's just hype from people who don't understand the nature of those jobs. At work we look at gpt3 as an interesting toy. It's definitely impressive but it's often quicker to write our own code.

The bigger story is that chatgpt is showing a lot of promise and will change the world, giving us powerful tools to either build things faster, or achieve more than we could before.

SomethingAlex1 t1_jcxkmjv wrote

I agree, it’s very up in the air.

I just find it funny how many people with 0 SE experience or mathematical background is telling us we are wrong πŸ˜‚ especially since I studied AI and suddenly these overnight professionals who were mocking AI 5 years ago are acting more knowledgable. What a world we live in.

dudpixel t1_jcxo6ug wrote

Yeah. I have felt that we are in the "age of ai" probably for the last 5-10 years, as things have been ramping up. And nowadays I'd say most startups in tech are either built primarily around AI or are deliberately using AI somewhere in their product.

AI is an accelerator and a powerful tool. As a software engineer I'm very much looking forward to ai-assisted tooling to aid in software development. There are some IP/legal hurdles still to be cleared I think but I do think it's here to stay.