Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Caracalla81 t1_jdd5y4q wrote

> responsible for what it does

I have sad news about how corporations work. You better sit down...

ValyrianJedi t1_jdd686x wrote

Dealing with that is pretty much what I do for a living, so I think I'm fairly up to date on how corporations work.

Caracalla81 t1_jdd8any wrote

You say that and then you say "the person funding and running the company is absolutely responsible for what it does". So you can see how I'm confused.

ValyrianJedi t1_jdd8idp wrote

Because they are... This may be news to you, but a company without funding doesn't do anything, and a company without solid direction and leadership doesn't do anything for long.

Caracalla81 t1_jdd9nzv wrote

I'm having a little fun here. I know you're talking about "responsible" in the sense that they get the profit. I'm saying "responsible" in the more typical sense of responsibility. Like being responsible if your train derailed and dumped poison everywhere. That's the joke. ;)

ValyrianJedi t1_jddbhd4 wrote

They are though. Especially in situations like that... For anything environment related the corporate veil doesn't exist, and shareholders and executives can be held personally liable in both criminal and civil cases... Like, people routinely hold owners and executives responsible for what their companies do... When Tesla does something shitty everyone acts like Elon Musk is 110% behind it and responsible for it. But then when Tesla does something good they all act like he has no responsibility for the company's actions and results.

Caracalla81 t1_jdddx76 wrote

Yeah, go cause a train wreck and then compare what happens to you to what ends up happening to the shareholders of Norfolk Southern. You'll lose more than your investments, let me tell ya!