Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ThePrem t1_iuie93i wrote

I live in NY and can assure you that electric heat is a rarity.

I am not saying its not physically possible...but its not nearly as cost effective. The calculation isn't the same. You require more solar panels to get the same amount of power due to less efficiency.

Also electric heat is 60% less efficient when producing heat (which is why its so rare). So you need to produce significantly more energy to get the same heating output. Its not a cost for 1kw solar to cost for 1kw gas comparison....its 3:1.

Someplace where there is little heating required and lots of sun will have a drastically different number than somewhere where its cold/dark.

−1

lightscameracrafty t1_iuirk0a wrote

You’re shifting the goalposts. Plenty of NY homes are electrifying now, especially because it ends up being more cost effective than gas. The fact that gas prices keep hopping off the rails here every winter while solar is getting cheaper and cheaper is only going to exacerbate this trend.

> electric heat is less efficient

Please source this assertion as it flies entirely against the prevailing scientific consensus.

> cold/dark

Again, this is nothing but a hollow truism and completely ignores the last couple of decades in building science and scientific achievement in PV. Sorry but it just doesn’t seem like you have any idea what you’re talking about.

ThePrem t1_iuje61g wrote

I think you are confused...people are electrifying but generally not for heat. Here is a good reference for heating power sources and pros/cons and why electric heat is less efficient. This is generally accepted among the HVAC industry and is not anything controversial.

Basically it boils down to gas burning hotter than an electric coil and getting more efficient heat transfer due to a higher temperature difference between the air you are trying to heat and the heat source.

https://hbmcclure.com/is-an-electric-furnace-an-energy-efficient-option/

I also don't think its controversial to suggest that there is variability in solar panel efficiency in different regions. I provided a link below that shows the difference. Someplace like Arizona where there is more direct sunlight for longer periods in the day will have a higher efficiency than Iceland where theres 5hrs of daylight in the winter and its overcast often.

https://globalsolaratlas.info/map

The cost benefit analysis for someone in NY who uses more heat and has lower efficiency with their solar panels is completely different from someone who lives in Florida where there is a low heat load and plenty of sunlight.

Again, I am not sure what I am saying that is so controversial or shifting goal posts.