Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

UsefulTrader t1_isb9tk9 wrote

I am also prescribed for 200mg Sertralin every morning and I'm really feeling great. I went to the psychiatrist to see if I had ADHD, instead I was prescribed for Anxiety and depression. Is the withdrawal really that bad? Or should I be concerned? Also I don't mind taking it for the rest of my life if it makes me feel good?

I_Am_Jacks_Karma t1_isbarep wrote

Have you ever missed a dose? Those brain shocks are very unpleasant and takes awhile to go away. Withdrawal is obviously different in severity for every individual but if you've ever missed a dose or two you have a good idea of how it will feel

UsefulTrader t1_isca3ci wrote

I have. I didn't feel anything too severe. But I must tell you that 200mg is my stepped up dose. I started with 50mg a day for the first month (that's also when I missed a dose because I rescheduled my appointment a day later, so I went on 31st day instead of 30th). Along with Sertralin I am also taking Zolpidem 5mg and Amitriptyline 25mg.

ThomasFromOhio t1_isbdhdh wrote

Yes! I forgot all about those. My wife and I were on sertraline together and both ran out at the same time, a week before vacation! I thought we were going to kill each other, no joke. Luckily the script came in the mail a few days after we ran out and we were back to just wanting to kill each other in time for vacation. :)

ThomasFromOhio t1_isbd68u wrote

For some people about a third if I recall correctly, it's extremely difficult to stop taking the med. You have to reduce the amount you take over time. Some people can do that over the course of a couple months. I wasn't so lucky. In addition, I gave up at one point and just started taking it because my mood in addition to other issues were really that bad.

Some people also build up a tolerance to the med and have to increase the dosage. I don't know if this med has a max dosage, but if it does, when you hit that point and it stops working as well as it used to, you'll need to stop taking the med, most likely before starting a new one.

I am not trying to scare anyone or tell anyone not to take this drug. I'm just sharing things that I wish I knew so I could have made an informed decision before taking it.

DrBimboo t1_isbg14g wrote

Does not have to be. I had 200 mg for years, and the same as you, I wouldnt have minded taking it for the rest of my life.

But at some point I felt the only contact point to my problems was taking the pills, so I tried to stop, and there were 0 problems.

UsefulTrader t1_iscblgr wrote

That sounds very reassuring. Thanks. As mentioned above I did miss a dose but didn't feel anything. Maybe because my brain is not yet used to it?

Greengiant2021 t1_isbej6f wrote

I found it worked well till it didn’t, I was immune to it in under a year. I’ve been through 4 different antidepressants, they all ended up being useless after 10 to 12 months. The withdrawal can be brutal. It’s all an experiment really. Everyone is different, good luck.

UsefulTrader t1_iscbcsv wrote

Thank you. I hope you are doing well. Also I don't mind if they stop working after a year because I need help now as I have a very crucial exam of my life in February and the only thing holding me back is my out of control mind. When I take my pills, the reaction my roommate gives me, really makes me feel bad, as if I'm at a mental asylum taking my meds.

Greengiant2021 t1_iscl4yl wrote

It’s none of your roommates business what you put in your body. Don’t let small minded people hold you back. I get it that you need that bit of help regarding your exams. Do whatever it takes to get your best results.

feelings_arent_facts t1_isbh6ci wrote

Pick up a milligram scale and take a piece of sandpaper. Every day, shave 1 milligram of your pill down. So if it weighs 200mg, do 199mg, 198mg, etc. etc. You can do 2mg drops to if you want. Go as low as you can. If you have symptoms, ask your doctor to go on Prozac and titrate off with that. It has a longer half life.

Also, sanction this with a doctor first and with regular updates with your psychiatrist and therapist...

Best-Dragonfly t1_isbzxcn wrote

This is potentially poor advice, sertraline tends to be film coated tablets, if you tinker with the coating you might affect the absorption rate causing effects you might not anticipate.