Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

frankyseven t1_it4r0jg wrote

The M1 was faster than the I7 and whatever the AMD chip is called when it was released. Maybe not on paper but there were plenty of tests done around the time it was released showing that it was the fastest on the market and that was the Air not the Pro. Now, some of those speed gains are due to the OS being optimized for the chip and all of the other hardware but it was still the fastest on the market.

Regardless, Apple is one of the few companies really pushing the cutting edge with their computers.

−2

MadDocsDuck t1_it4woul wrote

Yes and no. The real problem here is already in the way that you perceive their marketing material because the I7 hasn't been Intels top chip in each generation for quite some time. Then you have to consider the different wattages of the laptops conpared (especially if you compare a MacBook Air which is more focused on efficiency) because the "regular" chips vary vastly in power target and thus performance. And then there are the desktop chips, which are a whole different story to begin with. And on top of all that come the asynchronous release cycles so when Apple releases somethin in June but this years competition's products haven't released yet, they are esentially comparing them to a year old technology.

Then there is the whole issue of selecting the software for the benchmarks. Not just the OS makes a difference but also the individual programs yoh select.

Don't get me wrong, I like the chips and I wish that more companies focus on more efficiency like apple did with the M1 chips (although I heard that it is a different story with the M2 chips now). But every company will select the test suites to be as much in their favour as possible and when you comoare the Mac Platform to Windows there is always that inherrent difference that programs are just not the same between the two.

danielv123 t1_it6gsi8 wrote

Yes, the apple chip won hands down in workloads they added hardware acceleration for like some video editing workflows. It doesn't make the CPU faster in general though. There is a reason why you haven't seen data centers full of m1 mac's like with the old PlayStations.