Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ShadowController t1_it3lnbv wrote

DuPont is testing these at their warehouses, which is a promising indication it’s not all just a PR stunt.

kidicarus89 t1_it3pkh8 wrote

Imagine endless rows of these on those gigantic mile long industrial warehouses?

RipThrotes t1_it3up4x wrote

I think you have to space them out because they take wind from all directions, so maybe not rows and rows the way solar panels are set up- but perhaps stacks and stacks? Or spaced as efficiently as possible?

As a quick example, if you have two units east-west of one another, wind from the west hits one but not the other, same goes for wind from the easy. Either way, I think you get my point.

Edit: I hadn't read the article and thought they spun but in a small footprint. Have read, very wrong. Point still stands, maybe stacked?

There don't appear to be any of these that exist, only renderings and the power warehouse rendering has solar panels on it.

MLS_Analyst t1_it4m9bi wrote

> Or spaced as efficiently as possible?

Article said about every 15 feet.

few t1_it5w4t7 wrote

They don't take wind from all directions.

I expect they're relying on wind being higher coming over the edge of large buildings, and stacking wouldn't work very well.

Central_Control t1_it5qfpu wrote

They are already starting to use wind power on Container Ships. I hope these can also be used to reduce fuel usage on Large Ships.

Svkkel t1_it6gqrt wrote

Wind powered ships!

It's like evolving, but backwards!

Cap_Milton t1_it75lcd wrote

Considering architecture, art, music, people's knowledge of nature, community-building, faith and trust in our own senses, etc., we've been devolving for quite a long time, my friend. Just because time passes and you can type on a screen doesn't necessarily mean progress.

LilacYak t1_it8kz5d wrote

Faith? One of these things isn’t like the other. Progress means not believing in fairy tales

disruptioncoin t1_it8r4ke wrote

He didn't put a comma after faith, it was part of the "faith and trust in our own senses" part. However I'm not quite sure what he means by that. But it doesn't sound like he's talking about religion

Neither-Cup564 t1_it7lb5m wrote

The combustion engine was one of the worst things to happen to this world.