Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

profossi t1_ivpp4ly wrote

Yeah, stopping people from 3D printing "illegal" stuff is completely unenforceable. The entire software ecosystem already has popular open source implementations, from CAD to slicer to printer firmware, so good luck forcing some gun detection code into it.

Not to mention that a cheap lathe can be used make a gun with superior accuracy, durability and safety than a similarly priced 3D printer ever could. I don't understand why 3D printers are scary, yet crappy machine tools from aliexpress aren't.

Ange1ofD4rkness t1_ivs76rg wrote

Because those in power usually aren't the smartest. Out of sync with the world and the tech. They get wind of something and freak out ... in my experience

Al_Rascala t1_ivqoma6 wrote

Not having looked into either lathes or printing myself at all, would 3D printing a lathe be feasible? Building the tools to build the tools, as it were.

DarthElevator t1_ivs4ado wrote

3d printing a lathe isn't feasible with current 3d printing technology, due to accuracy, surface finish, etc. But interestingly enough a metal lathe is a machine that can be used to make a better version of itself.

pauljs75 t1_ivyovfw wrote

In that regard, a crappy 3D printed lathe is about 3 generations away from a somewhat decent lathe. (As machined by subsequent creations with improving tolerances.)

MadDonnelaith t1_ivrowod wrote

There is a fantastic book called "Build Your Own Metal Working Shop From Scrap" that details how to make a working metal foundry and build a lathe and a drill press. I've worked through parts of it, I was able to build a metal foundry and cast some of the first lathe parts. It's totally doable on your own. 3d printing a lathe probably wouldn't be super feasible, but it's doable by a determined person with the know-how.

SouthEasternGuy t1_ivzu5h1 wrote

You can but they’re pretty bank lathes. It would just be better to buy one yourself due to how much trouble it is and how finicky a 3D printed one is