Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SouthEasternGuy t1_ivsjh8b wrote

r/fosscad makes fully working rifles and pistols all the time from PLA and PLA+ that last for thousands upon thousands of rounds lmao

You don’t need a specialized machine either, most people using DEFCAD files own Creality Ender 3s. Used ones can be found for like 100 dollars. With how common auto bed leveling is, the only tuning really needed is temp, bed, adhesion, and dragging and dropping the files into cura or prusaslicer.

Additionally, when you manufacture a normal gun in the US, you do not need to serialize or register it UNLESS you plan to distribute/sell/transfer ownership to another person and that act requires a manufacturer’s license.

If you want to see how simple and easy it actually is, get into the 3D printing firearms groups or just watch Print Shoot Repeat on YouTube. He makes tons of guns constantly this way.

And for reference, this is all legal in the US because otherwise, 12 gauge pipes would become illegal. Personal use firearms are 100% legal to make, following NFA laws ofc.

For someone who claims to be qualified about this topic, the readily available info out there seems to elude you…

EDIT: Print Shoot Repeat just released a video saying YouTube is forcing him to take down all his 3D printer gun videos lmao fosscad is still a good resource for seeing what can be done, though

rickyh7 t1_ivthmpe wrote

Cool community. New member. Yep I’m well aware it’s completely legal in the US for the most part (there are a handful of states where it’s illegal so be careful) perusing this community I see 2 things that go against your claims. Not very many people specify the type of plastic, PLA and PLA+ won’t last for very long, definitely not thousands and thousands of rounds (most barrels are only rated for 10,000-20,000 rounds anyway, there’s a mill-std that military weapon accessories like scopes only need to be certified to 50,000 rounds which isn’t a lot for a machine gun, civilian standards were even lower). Happy to be wrong but I see no one claiming survivability of thousands of rounds. It’s very tough to tell what plastic is in pictures with only a few exceptions but I expect much of that is PETG. Also looking at the raw print quality I’m certain some of them are from something like an ender but a basic ender doesn’t print nice enough to just work. Those printers are going to be well upgraded and the raw prints carefully cleaned and sanded after. (Again I said specialized like the guy who did an SLS nylon ar lower in the last few days on that Reddit, or well tuned which is still not a trivial task). Basically what I’m saying in my original comment is it’s not buy printer download gun go shoot things. Without a good understanding of printers AND guns you ain’t making something effective which is why I say it’s a fools errand because if you possess both those things AND mal intent, you’re smart enough and resourceful enough to go do something else besides print a gun and use it. I found some data to back this up too claiming 44 3d printed weapon crimes in 2022 (check one of the other comments for the source). Seems governments are waisting a lot of resources on targeting dangerous 3d printers when truthfully this isn’t actually a widespread problem like so many articles are claiming

−1

The_Dirty_Carl t1_iw03p7j wrote

>Not very many people specify the type of plastic, PLA and PLA+ won’t last for very long, definitely not thousands and thousands of rounds

They're using PLA+. PETG is a bad idea for a firearm, as I'm sure you know since this you say this is your area of expertise.

Lot of people have thousands of rounds through their printed firearms. Not just .22LR either. Google the Amigo Grande, a .308 rifle. Will they last as long as steel or aluminum? Nah. But they're well beyond where you think they are.

>Those printers are going to be well upgraded and the raw prints carefully cleaned and sanded after. (Again I said specialized like the guy who did an SLS nylon ar lower in the last few days on that Reddit, or well tuned which is still not a trivial task).

There's some sanding involved of course, but lots of people are using completely stock Ender 3's. There are people who go benchy -> glock frame.

>Basically what I’m saying in my original comment is it’s not buy printer download gun go shoot things.

It pretty much is though, and the barrier to entry is dropping week by week.