Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ProFoxxxx t1_ivvn5j3 wrote

This is the news I want.

Just stop oil, is nonsense, just stop burning oil.

Oil is amazing. It's literally our ancestors. Our concoction of consciousness stretches back to them.

No one wants two cremations. Fuck combustion.

−18

fourpuns t1_ivvth2x wrote

Eh. This is like incredibly cost ineffective compared to just a small solar panel mounted on a post such as for a light. It’s a publicity stunt not a solution.

thorpie88 t1_ivw4ohx wrote

Which makes sense when you realise Telford is a new town in a part of the UK that is extremely old on average. While it did retain some important attractions like Ironbridge Gorge the town is a product of the 60's so it needs modern attractions like this for tourism.

fourpuns t1_ivw8c8v wrote

Sure… except I don’t know how many tourists come to a town to get there phones charged at a park bench.

This is probably designed by some local schools engineering department if it’s anything like where I live :p.

I’m certainly not saying it’s a bad thing just that this isnt some new thing we should be doing to all our paths.

thorpie88 t1_ivw9fsj wrote

It's not meant to be a single attraction to do that. It's meant to be a project to get people thinking about climate issues along with the wind turbines powering street lights.

It's giving the town national and international exposure and it may give people an added reason to visit the place because of it. No real difference to a town getting some exposure for a new art installation

ProFoxxxx t1_ivvw35s wrote

Eh. No shit, Einstein.

At least it involves physics, and not throwing custard at oil paintings.

We need radical scientists, not artists.

−4

ghastkill t1_ivy5c3f wrote

Ah, another person who didn’t read beyond the headline. 👏🏼 👏🏼 👏🏼

ProFoxxxx t1_ivyaim9 wrote

I read it last night when drunk and high, what about it?

It's literally using physics you doughnut

−2

ghastkill t1_ivyn0jk wrote

Was referring to you point about custard on the painting, but you probably missed that in your self confessed stupor. ✌️

evanc3 t1_ivw0bfe wrote

Oil is not our ancestors? It's almost 100% plants and algae, neither of which are ancestors of ours.

Plus, these plates are made of plastic.... which requires oil to make.

This is not the solution to drilling oil. I'm not even convinced these devices would ever even offset their own carbon emissions.

But hey, if it makes uneducated people feel good, I guess that's something.

ProFoxxxx t1_ivw1krd wrote

Everything is our ancestors. We are just bits of the universe exploring itself.

−4

evanc3 t1_ivw2due wrote

I love that you say we need physicists not artists and then spout some of the most artsy unscientific bullcrap I've heard lol

You do not know the defintion of "ancestor", clearly. Ancestors are things you are decended from, as in like a father or mother. We are literally not the ancestor of those algae. They evolved well after the division in the biological tree that separated us. We have plenty of ancestors from those oil biomass days, but oil is not our ancestors.

ProFoxxxx t1_ivw3c96 wrote

Lol, carbon based lifeforms...you think the carbon in you is special somehow? 😂

−2

evanc3 t1_ivw3jwr wrote

You clearly think it's special, talking about double creations and shit. The carbon doesn't care. We're all just stardust. Stop romanticizing and anthromorphizing it.

ProFoxxxx t1_ivxe09p wrote

What I said but different, well done

−1

evanc3 t1_ivyb93h wrote

Important disctinction: I ignore the metaphysical bullshit

ProFoxxxx t1_ivyc2ls wrote

I was on drugs, what do you expect?

evanc3 t1_ivycojo wrote

A disclosure lol

ProFoxxxx t1_ivyduf8 wrote

My phone is always a mess the morning after. I need a complicated screen lock 😂

evanc3 t1_ivye4yj wrote

Haha well sorry for being so hard on you. Hope you have a great weekend, dude.

ProFoxxxx t1_ivyn09n wrote

No worries at all dude. And you 👍🏼