Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bad_syntax t1_iw5dy5v wrote

I dunno, shingles. We all get new roofs around here all the time. My area, which I've been in like 2 years, I don't recall seeing any hail, yet I've seen half a dozen new roofs go on these homes. None of these homes are over 10 years old.

My old neighborhood I lived there 7 years, got 3 new roofs. We had a localized hailstorm once, hail the size of baseballs, lasted like 5 minutes, after the sun came out and all the ice immediately fogged our neighborhood. Only like 20-30 houses affected.

Each time I got a new roof at my old place, I upgraded it, so it *should* have been more durable than the builder grade crap they give you. The next new roof I should have had enough to only pay a couple thousand to get solar shingles.

We even have mountains of shingles here because we replace so many roofs:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2020/02/14/heres-how-shingle-mountain-was-born-and-why-dallas-wont-pay-to-destroy-the-70000-ton-monster/

We had a tornado pass by about 100' from the house last time, roof did pretty well and I only needed a few replacements (roof was only a few weeks old when it hit). I was in the middle of Dallas then, now I'm in the boonies, in a much newer/nicer house, with a MUCH steeper roof. Not sure if that'll make a difference or not.

NorfX t1_iw5gjvd wrote

So i guess that's asphalt roofing which is cheaper and less durable. I guess that makes sense when you also get tornadoes, not that i know much about it but i wouldn't assume any roof to be tornado proof..