Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AlexHanson007 t1_iwgcsd6 wrote

Then it is indeed good news. It seems like at least some of the biggest polluters (billionaires) are now taking this seriously and funding advancements that can help. I just hope big asset management funds and politicians follow suit now. Feel like this COP is such an important one (obv the all are, but we've already blown past +1.5 and want to try and keep it below +3 now).

OriginalCompetitive t1_iwgveym wrote

I know we’re all required to hate billionaires, but it’s not true that they are the biggest polluters.

−2

kalimabitch t1_iwgy1g9 wrote

Eh per individual they absolutely are. The wealthier the worse. That some of them want to course correct does not change that.

AlexHanson007 t1_iwh2907 wrote

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/carbon-emissions-richest-1-percent-more-double-emissions-poorest-half-humanity

The top 1% emit twice the total amount of emissions of the bottom half of the human race.

I'm not even hating on them here. I'm stating a fact and then saying that it's encouraging that they are realising work needs to be done and are, it would seem, putting their money where their mouth is. This is a good thing.

Gagarin1961 t1_iwh3bhu wrote

Politicians run the military, the largest polluter on the planet. Yet many see them at the solution.

Maybe things aren’t totally black and white?