Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

lifephan t1_iwqqnm4 wrote

Hopefully ill replace mine with a flip phone soon. Time to unplug

RRumpleTeazzer t1_iwqryg3 wrote

Iβ€˜m hoping for a brain implant that lets you do the stuff you would use your phone for, during a time you can’t actually use your phone.

Rocky_Road_To_Dublin t1_iwqu3cb wrote

A gun for the upcoming climate/fresh water wars.

That, or just a rosary for those who realize their fate

OptimalConcept143 t1_iwqubz6 wrote

Why would the smartphone get replaced? It's already the best form for the job. It's a bit like asking what will replace the keyboard. Some tech just doesn't need to be replaced with something else.

lofgren777 t1_iwquhaz wrote

Google glass proved that people will not wear wonky headsets walking around most of the time.

But what if you just had an attachment to your phone, like the Apple Watch. Instead of making the glasses the device, it's just a peripheral that you pop on as needed.

Honestly the fact that this doesn't exist yet makes me think I must be overlooking some major downside.

I think we'll do less and less of the actual computing on our persons. Carrying around a device with the processing power of a smartphone will be unusual. I think the average consumer would prefer a sturdy, reliable device that lets them browse the internet, message, take pictures, and listen to their music without having to be updated every twelve months. I think they would even be willing to sacrifice speed, as long as the network was reliable.

The fact is most people don't need all of the features of their smartphones today. They have those features because developers have to justify their paychecks, not because they are actually useful. If society manages to survive long enough for stable, reliable internet to be accessible in most places in a given country, I expect smartphones will decline in popularity rather than continue expanding.

Diaming787 t1_iwqvg9l wrote

AR Glasses. However, there will need to be bluetooth connected to a smartphone do to all the processing in the background.

-technocrates- t1_iwqxmfy wrote

smart cards. ultrathin card phone-like screen computers. kinda like a thinner version of the ipod touch 4

nwoxsavvymattx t1_iwqydwb wrote

I might be skipping a few steps but I'm going with neuralink, hopefully I'm still alive to experience some of that

sergpepper t1_iwqywbr wrote

I think it shouldn't matter how you do it, but what you do with your smartphone. Based on the scenario of use, so will the remedy.

OptimalConcept143 t1_iwr8vn8 wrote

Yes, I can type 98%+ accurate with a keyboard. If I tried to use dictation I would need to waste a ton of time putting in punctuation and fixing the words the voice recognition got wrong. I am also not a sir.

I can't even imagine trying to program using my voice.

69like t1_iwr9xvl wrote

Have you considered speaking? Not recording your your voice or anything. Just speaking to someone about your opinions?