Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

VegetableWishbone t1_iycscjm wrote

The most common EV barrier is price. If this thing is over $25k none of that optimization matters in the market.

Fausterion18 t1_iyd91rt wrote

Bolt EUV is $27.5k. Btw the average new vehicle price today is $50k.

Dironiil t1_iyerrjf wrote

Average is sometimes skewed by high outliers when it comes to prices, do we have a statistic on the median price instead?

Fausterion18 t1_iyeug4n wrote

The average non-luxury new vehicle transaction price is $44,288. This excludes all luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes etc.

New cars are pretty expensive these days. A Toyota Sienna is a $50k car once you put on a few options.

DonQuixBalls t1_iyew971 wrote

And they seldom keep any in stock that don't have a bunch of options.

Dironiil t1_iyfb8il wrote

Those prices definitely we t up... To be fair, I am from Europe where things might be slightly cheaper, but nonetheless. Interesting to know, ty

[deleted] t1_iydz59e wrote

[deleted]

−2

Fausterion18 t1_iydzt4p wrote

I picked them up from actual statistics about new vehicle transactions. Where did you get your facts from? Your own ass?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/article/new-car-average-transaction-price-record-high/

Just_a_follower t1_iye1tqu wrote

For the month of October, a month in which luxury sales accounted for almost 20% of all sales. Seems a bit disproportionate.

Also , it seems like currently there is an over representation of trucks being purchased which add expense (business right off?)

The Honda Civic price 2022 in October 2022 ranges from 23-29k

Toyota Corolla starts at less than 23k

Of the most popular vehicles sold 2022 , the vast majority are truck / suv / Tesla.

But yes the fact remains the average new car price for October 2022 is close to 50k

−3

Fausterion18 t1_iye6z3x wrote

>For the month of October, a month in which luxury sales accounted for almost 20% of all sales. Seems a bit disproportionate.

It's been over $48k for the entire year, it was over $47k last year.

>Also , it seems like currently there is an over representation of trucks being purchased which add expense (business right off?)

Nah, Americans just love big unnecessary trucks whilst complaining about gas prices. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways my point is $27.5k for a small electric SUV isn't high, especially since there are federal and state rebates.

Rogermcfarley t1_iycssu3 wrote

$25900 - $50,700. $25900 in my country UK would be relatively cheap for a new EV. That's around £21500 and the cheapest new EV here is by MG at £26,000.

Mecha-Dave t1_iydaoqb wrote

Not paying for electricity to charge it is a pretty good deal

phatelectribe t1_iydjxly wrote

Your average pricing is way off. Cars average is double what you’re stating. $25k is the bottom end of the market these days and most people want and will spend more than that.

VegetableWishbone t1_iye3bi6 wrote

I am not quoting average price, for EV to take over it needs to be cheaper than ICE, majority of people aren’t incentivized to pay more to save the environment.

−2

seanflyon t1_iye62ua wrote

EVs are a lot cheaper to operate. Electricity is cheaper than gas.

borgendurp t1_iyedy2x wrote

Cool. But here where people don't just lend money everytime they want a car, cost to enter is a prohibiting factor.

−2

seanflyon t1_iyeerby wrote

Cost to enter is obviously an issue, but EVs don't have to be cheaper than ICE vehicles to be more appealing. Different people place different values on future money vs current money, but only the extremely stupid/incompetent place zero value on future money. If a car saves you $20k over it's lifetime you might only be willing to pay an extra $10k for that. If you are particularly short sighted you might only pay $5k. People who don't qualify for a ~$30k car loan are probably shouldn't buy a new car anyway.

−2

phatelectribe t1_iyekgoz wrote

They don’t need to be cheaper, just the same price or even slightly more given the running costs and maintenance are far far lower (no filter changes, no oil changes, no timing or fan belts, etc etc). People will spend more upfront because over the life of the car they spend far less. That why prius became so popular - they were $10k more than the same ICE car but you saved $20k in gas over the 5-10 years you owned it.

radicalceleryjuice t1_iye8cve wrote

That’s going to change as climate shocks get worse. People will start to group organize as they become alarmed about their kids

BadMedAdvice t1_iyerf31 wrote

Really? The "will, it's a lake in the desert, what did you expect" people are going to respond to climate change before its far beyond too late to matter?

goodsam2 t1_iydj7nw wrote

Batteries are plummeting in price are a falling% of the product. This will get below 25k.

DukeOfGeek t1_iye0w7b wrote

And the used market is already a thing. I saw a used Volt in my home town for under 9K.

goodsam2 t1_iye10cp wrote

I mean an old Nissan leaf was $6k before the crazy spike

DukeOfGeek t1_iye1r3z wrote

I got an almost brand new one in 2015 for 10K. Been paid off for a while, cheapest miles ever so far.

TheGunshipLollipop t1_iyexvbe wrote

>This will get below 25k

The EV also weighs 65% less because of the switch to carbon fibre materials

Sure about that?

−1

Hakuryuu2K t1_iydgj8f wrote

You can go to the reservation site and the base model is $25,900. With the add on of all the solar panels (only the hood panels are included in base price) you can have a car that goes 250 miles on a single charge with the addition of up to 40 miles from the solar panels (depending on the day, location, and time if year) for $26,800.

DonQuixBalls t1_iyewoyk wrote

Those are still pre-production estimates. Inflation alone could make those numbers impossible.

lvl2bard t1_iydhkvg wrote

I’m not sure that price is a real barrier, or there would be unsold EVs on car lots. I think that when supply catches up to demand, car companies will have to be competitive again at the low end. Some foreign EVs are already there but they’re hard to import. If they’re clever, car companies will use their current EV profit margins to make their future cars cheaper to build so that they can compete at the $20k level.

ShrimpCrackers t1_iycwpym wrote

Also, not only is it over $25k, but the thing is tiny and creaks like crazy. The interior of the actual models screams "home garage built."

I do want a Aptera still, but its definitely not for mainstream.

cartoonzi OP t1_iyde4l4 wrote

Lowest range model is $25k for 250 miles of range based on their website

DazedWithCoffee t1_iycw31e wrote

I don’t think it’s the most important one, but it does end up being the most common one

genericdude999 t1_iyergz1 wrote

Yeah they need to delete anything expensive but keep the aerodynamic design, and get it down to the level of a Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio. Their market niche is definitely "second car".