Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

18LJ t1_iycp5lr wrote

I'm ok with this as long as it's only scientists going. The moment billionaires start building spaces bases and moon mansions.....hell no.

U cant make ur riches by fuckin up the planet then jump ship. I think we need to send a clear message to the wealthy futurist megalomaniac that wanna flee the planet. First ultrarich tech bro that plans to build a residential non terrestrial building project, shoot that rocket and every asshole inside right out of the sky. Ur not gonna spend all that money to leave earth in ruins to escape when it could be spent fixing things here. I dont care if it takes a terrorist attack, partnerships with rogue nations, or even building a diy surface to air that will take down a SpaceX or bozo dick rocket. If it requires a kickstarter or whatever it takes, I dunno, I dont really have any prior job experience with being a terrorist or leader of a supervillain group, but no matter what it takes, I'll die before I see them make a clean getaway after destroying our planet.

−2

Vladius28 t1_iycr20e wrote

Man... just stop

No one is leaving earth to go live on a rock. The moon is going to be a mine

36-3 t1_iycry5h wrote

It will be a military outpost for China & the US and maybe Russia if they get their head out of their ass(doubtful)

Sm00gz t1_iycsna2 wrote

Even then it will pretty strictly be a resource grab not some fat cat hide out.

It will also have strategic and military applications. But the main idea is a return on investment, yknow econ 101

Gari_305 OP t1_iycr55c wrote

>I'm ok with this as long as it's only scientists going. The moment billionaires start building spaces bases and moon mansions.....hell no.

Sorry to burst your bubble there but yeah u/18LJ the moon is going to be mined to high heaven because trillions in profits are at stake.

Carbidereaper t1_iycx6au wrote

Better the moon than the earth

Gari_305 OP t1_iycxymq wrote

True especially since Helium 3 is on the moon which when mined can be used to give us Fusion Energy as seen here

>Of these, helium‑3 represents the most significant potential in the field of energy. This non-radioactive isotope is an ideal fuel for the operation of a fusion reactor; it consists of fusing helium‑3 with deuterium, with the advantage of not producing neutrons.

And since there are tones on the Moon we're looking at Fusion energy for tens of thousands of years

China Knows this as seen here

As do we, so yeah you're right better there on the Moon than here on earth.

The race has begun

corrective_action t1_iyf1t4e wrote

I really hope you're 12-14 years old and not a fully-realized product of the American education system.

gnoxy t1_iyd1j3r wrote

Hell no! I want to take a trip to the moon one day and look out at earth from my hotel window.

james28909 t1_iyd2z6b wrote

We're whalers on the moon,

We carry a harpoon,

For they ain't no whales

So we tell tall tales

And sing our whaling tune.

ConfirmedCynic t1_iydjppc wrote

Another person who thinks you can somehow "destroy" a dead, airless rock.

LilacYak t1_iydosw4 wrote

Lol a moon base wouldn’t last 6 months without constant resupply missions from earth

Rockstar_MCMXC t1_iydu92c wrote

That’s my biggest fear with Musk and his mission to Mars. I just know it will end up being a colony for billionaires to escape a dying earth.

InGenAche t1_iydz1om wrote

Every billionaire needs 10,000 serfs so there's still hope for some of us!

tanrgith t1_iye9x6x wrote

I'd love to hear the logic that you use to reach that conclusion that billionaires would find Mars a more attractive place to live than Earth