Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cesium-sandwich t1_iy93kj3 wrote

As good as possible = as visually similar to the original as possible (without close inspection), but way shittier and cheaper.

rocketing ahead = as they demolish their cities made of actual cardboard and sold to rural "investors" in a lottery involving free chickens.

SatanLifeProTips t1_iy9oegg wrote

Have you actually seen the mew machine tools China is spitting out? A friend of mine has purchased a CNC laser for $50k from china that will cut 1” plate all day long. I’m talking full machine in an enclosure and everything.

They also picked up a 1.5kW fibre laser for 3K for another CNC project.

If your view of what China is pumping out is the garbage they sell on Aliexpress, you are a fool. Try going to some trade shows or maybe go to China and see the industrial stuff first hand. Their equipment is getting to be just as good as the American machine tools for 1/4 the price.

This is exactly like in the late 70’s early 80’s when everyone LOL’d at ‘Jap scrap’. And they kept laughing through the 80’s while they didn’t notice it was getting better and cheaper than the domestically produced products. Then one day whoopsie. We got our asses handed to us.

Cars too. If you think Chinese cars are junk you had go better wander down to the local Volvo dealership and test drive a Polestar. It’s actually a Geele electric car that is better than anything the domestics are making. Did I mention China bought Volvo? China is also already making a lot of the electric driveline components in current EV’s.

cesium-sandwich t1_iy9ssxy wrote

Yeah I thought about getting one of those cheap chinese laser cutters, but I was worried about getting my eyeballs burnt out since they have a questionable safety interlocks.. I read a few horror stories.. but I'll definitely hit you up if I'm in that market, u/SatanLifeProTips.

SatanLifeProTips t1_iy9uvwi wrote

There you go shopping on aliexpress again.

I’m talking professional grade fully enclosed machine tools. Same as you would see in any professional fabrication shop.

You get what you pay for. When you see a shitty laser cutter with no enclosure, that is what you are getting.

cesium-sandwich t1_iya53u2 wrote

Hehe all good bro. I didn't have "Talking about laser cutters with a China simp on the futurology sub" on my bingo card today, but here we are.

fwiw the one I looked at a couple years ago was an enclosed c02 laser, I think a k40.. but I don't even have a workshop, lol.
It wasn't on aliexpress.. it was some weird chinese factory..
I'll see if I can dig it up, and post back.

SatanLifeProTips t1_iyb42qd wrote

Co2 is dying. It’s all about fibre lasers now. The cost of operation per hour is drastically better. You’ll see the CO2 laser market start to VHS over the next couple of years as the smaller and smaller fibre lasers get stupid cheap.

And I may have to make a fibre module add on for my plasma table. Because wow. $3k for that 1.5kW fibre laser is hard to argue with.