Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nycguy30 t1_j10a07v wrote

OpenAI making every small business and employees shit their pants

Less-Mail4256 t1_j10yqit wrote

I’ll worry when I see a robot designing and building a whole kitchen while being able to interact with an indecisive customer.

baelrog t1_j12sxbl wrote

Alas, the Skynet was born not out of automated weapons system, but from a fed up interior design bot fed up with indecisive humans.

[deleted] t1_j136gwr wrote

the thing is, there will be an ai that deals with customers, and that ai will have infinite patience to cater to the specific needs while at the same time use powerful tools to guide the customer to the most profitable option.

ChronoFish t1_j13kk6d wrote

Maybe most profitable, but the ability to capture correct sentiment from a person is something that humans struggle with..

A lot of people can build things. Some can even follow directions. But few can translate customer desire to true expectations...as the classic PM tree swing meme conveys:

tree swing

Less-Mail4256 t1_j14fena wrote

There will always be a large margin of error. Some people just can’t be appeased, regardless of their options, because they don’t actually know what they want.

RandomCandor t1_j10fyuy wrote

And the big ones. The big ones are shitting their pants even more.

AfrikaCorps t1_j11h4d6 wrote

Big business! Small business benefit from democratization of tech.

I remember when my brother started a 3D printer farm in 2013 and undercut this huge company making specialized parts

joshglen t1_j12rqll wrote

Ah good luck with that now, every part is being sold on etsy nowadays for barely over the price of filament + postage

AfrikaCorps t1_j12v77o wrote

Not here in Mexico, still good business, if you know spanish look up prices, it's stupid, we talking a print that takes 5 hours being like $20 or so.

Now, about your point which I will not ignore: that's even harder democratization because now some dudes can undercut small businesses and sell parts for less, making it a side hustle, it's positive in a way.

baelrog t1_j12t5mb wrote

It's been two weeks since ChatGPT comes out. I've already changed how I do free lance translation.

I feed every sentence I want to translate in the bot, and unlike Google translate where I have to edit every single time, with ChatGPT I only have to edit half of the time.

ChronoFish t1_j13m55z wrote

Well conversely, this opens up a whole new world of rapid prototyping that small businesses never had access to before. Instead of being reliant on the business owners skill, or maybe a single employee, those individuals can now ramp up their productivity to the point where they can service customers that were traditionally out of reach.

ExternaJudgment t1_j12r2d4 wrote

Bullshitters getting priced out because the REAL value of their bullshit is now becoming clear.

I see it as progress, I would never pay them before but now prices might actually be reasonable.

−6

SUPRVLLAN t1_j138eex wrote

Prices for what?

ExternaJudgment t1_j13flhj wrote

Like phone in 1980s: for 10.000$ you get a totally useless brick.

Evolution throws out the expensive garbage and makes prices fair for all.

−2