Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MeatisOmalley t1_j12di0u wrote

There are already AI coding assitants, they dramatically speed up workflow. You don't describe your entire game in a single prompt, you describe aspects of the game, then the ai writes the code to program that aspect.

dc2b18b t1_j140mhm wrote

“Make me a game. It has these aspects. Also when a user clicks item X and they have an axe in their inventory and greater than 50% health and there are less than 10 people currently playing and one of the other people playing is an elf who is greater than level 5 but less than level 8, the item should trigger Y. Oh but if the elf is at level 9, then scratch all that because the item should then do Z.”

Yeah good luck describing aspects at a high enough level that the AI can make something usable but in enough detail that it’s actually creating the game you want it to create, without causing unintended side effects.

−2

MeatisOmalley t1_j14q6au wrote

You just have no clue what you're talking about.

I can ask the ai, "write a gravity simulation" and it can code it in 1 second, and I could plug it into some aspect of my game. I could ask the ai, "write a performant function that constantly checks for and gives coordinates" and plug that into my minimap UI. It's literally faster than typing. I could also give parts of my own code to the ai, and say "I got (x) error. What's wrong with my code?" And the AI will describe in detail what I did wrong, and provide a solution.

Game development is coded in much smaller pieces than you seem to think.

SnooPuppers1978 t1_j164hcj wrote

Or you could just use an existing library that also takes "1 second".

I think so many examples people bring up are just something that you already can do with few clicks, existing livrary, existing framework, assets, etc.

In reality code is prompts. And you can always abstract code into functions which are like promots.

If prompts are that beneficial to some it sounds like their code has way too much boilerplate.