Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

clampie t1_j14bsif wrote

Underground activity is important. Japanese researchers discovered major plumes under Greenland in 2020.

- A hot plume (Greenland plume) rising from the core-mantle boundary beneath central Greenland is discovered.

- The Iceland and Greenland plumes are connected and supplying magmas to Iceland, Jan Mayen, and Svalbard hotspots.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2020JB019839

ialsoagree t1_j14ck7i wrote

That plume has existed for millions of years. It's cooling.

In fact, that very research you cited even states that the heat from the plume is feeding the Iceland plume, which is why Iceland has over 100 volcanoes, and over a third of them are active volcanoes (have erupted in the part 50,000 years). Greenland has no active volcanoes at all.

Volcanic activity and heat plumes function over geological time scales. That plume under Greenland was hotter when the ice formed than it is today.

−1

clampie t1_j14f6sj wrote

We just learned about it. And it creates hot spots. lol

ialsoagree t1_j14ff2b wrote

We've known that there was a hot spot under Greenland for a very long time. We didn't know that it was still active, which is what the research you're citing confirms.

clampie t1_j14fm7m wrote

No, we didn't know.

If it's hot enough to melt rocks, it's hot enough to melt ice.

The researchers didn't show up and discover nothing.

ialsoagree t1_j14i9ci wrote

If we didn't know, how did the page I linked to, published before your paper, talk about a hot spot in Greenland?