Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Njaa t1_izbaenu wrote

The downvotes confuse me. How is this not an accurate statement?

SirSteelBuns t1_izdsae0 wrote

Btc cannot physically ever "change" over to proof of stake. Please go read the Btc white paper. smh

Njaa t1_izdsk20 wrote

I'm actually very familiar with the document titled "a peer-to-peer electronic cash system". It doesn't contain any reason why this would be impossible.

Ethereum just made the change from PoW to PoS. Why would it be harder for Bitcoin?

SirSteelBuns t1_izdt0hn wrote

There is no active development, the person claiming to have come up with Bitcoin long gone. All we have are decentralised nodes, that anyone can spin up on a hard drive at home, and miners running the blockchain and completing transactions. You buy/trade Btc, it is processed by miners on the blockchain. As of now, it is essentially a driverless train, with tracks that will only end if every miner stopped mining. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding of Btc currently.

Njaa t1_izdtglb wrote

>There is no active development

The client is still being updated regularly, and the most recent consensus change happened way after Satoshi left the project. The latest hardfork was in 2017, and the latest intentional compatibility breaking consensus change was in 2013.

It's true that there hasn't been significant changes in the past years, but this is a matter of lacking motivation from the community. It would still be entirely possible if they wanted to do it, which is what the poster above said in the first place.

SirSteelBuns t1_izdtsnd wrote

I wouldn't say a fork in 2017 is active development. Why would anyone with any stake in Bitcoin be interested in proof of work? It is as much of a joke as the original post.

Njaa t1_izdtwxk wrote

>Bitcoiners won't do it but they absolutely could, just like Ethereum did.

This was the original claim that you reacted to. We all agree that Bitcoiners won't do it.

It seems that we now agree that they could do it.

Your last question is why they would do it.

These are all vastly different topics, but if you wanna talk about the merits of PoS, we can change the topic.