Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

strvgglecity t1_izl4ayy wrote

Going across an ocean is 0% like going to another planet. There was air here. And water. And trees. And food. And animals. The travel itself was the only obstacle. On Mars every breath, calorie, H20 molecule and poop has to be accounted and provided for, literally. Neil deGrasse Tyson himself has come out against focusing on a permanent mars settlement.

I am not shitting on Mars exploration - only explaining the immense challenge it poses and resources it would require to settle there permanently. It's likely that in the first several decades, human trips will be one way due to water and food constraints unless some sort of hibernation is achieved, which means anyone who goes is stuck there til they die, which could be as little as a few years.

It's just a much, much more difficult proposition than any media outlet or SpaceX employee is willing to discuss. I also am unsure of the value of a permanent settlement. I have not seen the results part of the missions.

−1

Icee777 OP t1_izl6gwo wrote

Going in deep ocean in 15th century is comparable to going in deep space in 21st century. Most of the expeditions were lost and the first colonies barely survived. And they needed to wait for the next year (or even a few) for a supply mission. But they tried again and again till a meaningful foothold was established.

strvgglecity t1_izl7fsn wrote

It's not even close. These people will go knowing they can't come back. You're only talking about getting lost. Space involves far more pernicious dangers. It's a 9 month trip just to get there, and then years before you eventually die or a method of return travel arrives. We don't know how Mars gravity or radiation will affect the human body long-term. You can't go outside ever again. Can't see a blue sky or watch a bird fly. In modern terms, you'll never again access the internet. It's possible that minor injuries are likely to be death sentences. And the money involved is astronomical compared to building wooden ships. Essentially, the psychological stress will be unlike anything humans have encountered to date.

I strongly suggest looking at astrophysicists' discussions about life on Mars and travel to Mars for a more complete understanding of the possibilities and challenges.

strvgglecity t1_izlacjx wrote

There's also a separate option that for profit corporations will undoubtedly exploit: the singularity is predicted for 2029, when machine general intelligence will surpass human intelligence. Subsequent advances in robotics will likely result in fully humanoid robots capable of self maintenance and repair by the 2040s or 2050s, which eliminates the need for food and water and places unrestricted timelines on operations. Human settlements are likely to be built by said robots because not a ton of people will be up for one way trips and the cost of sending robots is significantly lower.

ItilityMSP t1_izluymf wrote

Settling the ocean with floating cities and Antarctica are far easier than Mars.