Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SatanLifeProTips t1_izzngxc wrote

Also the article is saying that it’s capacity is 300ah/g. That is on par or better than current state of the art NMC lithium cells.

OptimalConcept143 t1_izzo2fm wrote

Listing it in mass density seems misleading when volume density is what matters in things like cars and phones. Generally with normal conditions solids are less dense in volume than liquids.

SatanLifeProTips t1_izzomle wrote

The car world cares a LOT more about weight to power than density to power ratios. Weight is everything. And I would assume that the size to power density is reasonable.

OptimalConcept143 t1_izzpvjp wrote

Not true, most consumers list range as their biggest worry with EVs, and if you want max range you either need to have as much energy in as little space as possible, especially since you need space in the vehicle for people and storage.

SatanLifeProTips t1_izzqiv4 wrote

Range = the best power to weight ratio.

I’m assuming the battery has a reasonable power to density ratio but there is actually a LOT of room for batteries in a car when you build a dedicated EV skateboard style chassis. You run out of weight capacity long before you run out of space to install batteries. And a pound of battery saved is a half pound of suspension and structure saved. It really really matters. A lighter battery makes the entire car lighter.

OptimalConcept143 t1_izzrnoz wrote

That's true isn't it?

I'm still skeptical. I've seen way too many posts about battery tech over the past decade and it never pans out.

SatanLifeProTips t1_izzs17x wrote

Yet I will be able to buy a electric chevy pickup with 640km of range, 250kW charging and a 2000 cycle rating starting next month. That’s a million km battery.

Sometimes battery tech DOES make it to the public.