Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Rogaar t1_j00kkow wrote

This is not the first, nor the last, company to claim they have a solid state battery design.

Nothing to be excited over yet. I've been following the market for about 10 years as I have some investments in the energy sector. There are so many companies trying to do the next generation of battery, it's a mess at the moment and no clear winner yet.

Gnawlydog t1_j00v0bi wrote

Reminds me of my stocks in the early dotcom era.. Pets.com was my biggest memory there, especially reading the story behind it. I lost a lot of money but it was a great learning experience. Thankfully I was only 18 at the time so easily recovered.. These days I'm much more careful. Ironically, I've been heavily invested in crypto for the last 10 years so maybe practice what I preach. LOL

TimTaga t1_j01h66r wrote

From what I've seen, Graphene Manufacturing Group (GMG) look to be the closest to bringing something to market.

NoMalarkyZone t1_j01i6cf wrote

I would bet on CATL, I think the Chinese will basically prop that up no matter what and I won't be surprised if they win the battery wars.

TimTaga t1_j01ixet wrote

I dunno, you could be right but at a glance their battery specs are way behind gmg, in power density, charging speed, materials cost, recyclability, heat dissipation, cycles/lifespan, fire safety. Almost every metric.

NoMalarkyZone t1_j01k56m wrote

Thats why I don't necessarily pick a company. I toss the money in an ETF style China fund thats heavy in CATL, but represents a lot of Chinese energy storage / production sector.

Rogaar t1_j05bj86 wrote

Yeah that's one at the top of my list. They are in a great position as they make graphene themselves so then taking it to the next level of manufacturing something with it, instead of just selling it, gives them an advantage over other battery manufacturers who have to source and buy the graphene.

And they are also a local company in my state. All the more reason to support them if it helps the local economy.