Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Surur OP t1_j1jz8ru wrote

Recharging times compared to petrol cars have been one of the biggest objections to EVs, but advances in car fast chargers have made this less and less of an issue.

Nio has just announced a 500 kW ultra-fast charger called Power Charger 3.0 on Nio day. It has a maximum charging current of 660A and can charge EVs based on 800V architecture from 10% to 80% in 12 minutes.

These advances, which should become ubiquitous amongst EVs over the next few years, will mean we need fewer superchargers for long-distance travel, and that EVs will become even more practical for those without chargers at their homes.

ConflagWex t1_j1k4isu wrote

>These advances, which should become ubiquitous amongst EVs over the next few years, will mean we need fewer superchargers for long-distance travel, and that EVs will become even more practical for those without chargers at their homes.

A 12-minute charge would make it close enough to filling up a gas tank that they might add them to existing gas stations. Especially companies that have built up the convenience store aspect, they would try to draw people in to make money on higher profit items like snacks and soda.

LabyrinthConvention t1_j1k8k3c wrote

And if you know you're going home you don't even need a full charge

BreakRaven t1_j1mztjx wrote

Fuck the people who live in an apartment I guess.

dramaking37 t1_j1n4lkk wrote

I love this argument because apartments don't have gas pumps and yet somehow the infrastructure functions. Someone should study it!

BreakRaven t1_j1n558u wrote

Infrastructure, you got that right chief. Call me when there's infrastructure.

dramaking37 t1_j1n7esb wrote

I mean, the infrastructure certainly isn't completed and I'm not sure where you're located. But the US is planning to build 50k a year alongside grid improvements.

Here is a good summary if you're interested: https://usafacts.org/articles/how-many-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-are-there-in-the-us/

In my city you wouldn't need to own a home charging station at this point. There are several 350kw stations within 10 miles which provide 0-80% in 15-20 minutes. Lower power ones are at most major shopping centers and those take about an hour.

BreakRaven t1_j1n7ki6 wrote

> the US is planning

Exactly, outside of US there is almost fuck all.

Schemen123 t1_j1l6qx6 wrote

Thats already happening, my local ford dealer has a gas station, two DC chargers, 4 AC chargers and a restaurant

MrBassAckwards t1_j1n77n3 wrote

All the gas stations in Norway are already adding chargers, including under the canopy like fuel pumps.

wheetcracker t1_j1lhxid wrote

660... Amps? It says charging current of 660 volts which makes no sense. 500 kW/800V is 625 amps, so it doubly makes no sense.

SpecialEffectZz t1_j1kgump wrote

Using something degrades it. You heard it here first folks. Petrol cars never degrade anything I guess?

dramaking37 t1_j1n4sgz wrote

Right? Let's willfully ignore several dozen maintenance items on ICE cars when we compare.

16805 t1_j1l8uqk wrote

500kw... Do you know how much electricity that is? Damn thing practically would need its own electrical substation. Imagine having to coordinate with grid operators just to charge ONE car at 500KW.

Viper67857 t1_j1m5b4o wrote

The mixer motors at my plant draw 2000+ amps at 480V277V x 3phases. They ramp up and down every few minutes, and we have 5 of them.

BlakeMW t1_j1lp794 wrote

These things would probably be integrated into a smart grid. Definitely in places which are putting the appropriate priority in managing grids better. EV charging can be an excellent tool for grid stability if the charger is in close communication with the grid.

An example is the UK smart charge point regulations that requires all new EV chargers to be able to negotiate with the grid and defer charging and such.

fuckbread t1_j1lzduk wrote

It’s already largely a non-issue from a day to day basis for many people. I wake up to a “full tank” every day and spend 0 time thinking about it.

dewafelbakkers t1_j1m6bo9 wrote

This is honestly the best take. People (including myself) gripe and moan about accessibility to charging stations and speed and quality etc. But these stations are truly just a supplement. Out side of long commutes and road trips, I don't ever think about charging. I charge at home with a level 1 trickle charge, and sometimes I'll plug in at the grocery store while I shop just to top off.

I think most.people truly don't need a super duper level 100 charger to top them off in 8 minutes. I need chargers that are reliable and actually work when I pull up to them first and foremost. Beyond that I just want a charger that can get me a good chunk back while a grab milk and eggs at the grocery, or a fast and convenient plug and play while I stop at a gas station to use the bathroom and grab a coffee

fuckbread t1_j1mjath wrote

Totally. I feel for apartment dwellers, but that can be solved by ac charging solutions. I personally don’t see a use case for dc chargers being much faster than they are now for road tripping. Stopping every 200 miles for a potty break and snack is longer than people like to admit. Whenever there’s a debate it’s always the “I drive 500 miles nonstop and piss in water bottles and make my kids shit in travel toilets.” 🙄

BobLoblaw_BirdLaw t1_j1pecst wrote

The only issue is using fast chargers only for apartment dwellers isn’t going to be great for their barriers no?

acousticsking t1_j1nkcin wrote

This will be very hard on the batteries. The battery cooling system is going to need to be way better than what current EV'S currently have.