Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PersonNumber7Billion t1_j5zrz0a wrote

The Doomsday Clock is put out by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists. Atomic scientists are not necessarily political or military experts. It's an emotional appeal to get people to think about how tenuous our safety is in the age of nuclear weapons. But it shouldn't be taken as an accurate gauge of how close we are to nuclear war.

123blaze t1_j5zuzk5 wrote

while you are correct i would like to add that there are 10 members on the bulletin of atomic scientists that have won nobel prizes for their scientific contributions. i believe there are a couple high ranking college professors on the bulletin as well.

​

>Eden is senior research scholar (Emeritus) at Stanford University’s Center for International Security and Cooperation. Her scholarly work focuses on the military and society; science, technology, and organizations; and US nuclear weapons history and policy. Eden’s 'Whole World on Fire: Organizations, Knowledge, and Nuclear Weapons Devastation' won the American Sociological Association’s 2004 Robert K. Merton award for best book in science and technology studies. Her current research and writing asks how a specific US military planning organization has enabled very good people to plan what, if put into action, could or would result in the deaths of tens of millions of people. In other words, how do US military officers make plans to fight and prevail in nuclear war?

jgzman t1_j6167gp wrote

> But it shouldn't be taken as an accurate gauge of how close we are to nuclear war.

I mean, we are, at any moment, about five minutes away from a nuclear war.

Any other measure is just someone trying to figure out how likely someone is to push the proverbial button.

D-AlonsoSariego t1_j63hre9 wrote

And even if they were it would still not be very accurate. These kind of things that try to add quantifiable values to politic/social things are rarely accurate