Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

neglectedselenium t1_j5f4cxy wrote

It's actually feasible to terraform Mars. Humans would need to release very large amounts of sulfur hexafluoride and perfluoroalkanes into the atmosphere. Those inert and harmless gases will heat the planet, increase the atmospheric pressure by melting all ice caps

SeriousPuppet t1_j5gxih0 wrote

ok bud. and what exactly is the "feasible" method of releasing all those gases? and where is your proof that that would turn into an atmosphere the same as earth's (ie about 20% / 80% oxygen to nitrogen), and where is your proof that the atmosphere would stay put (ie not erode or dissolve)?

neglectedselenium t1_j5itcly wrote

I'm just saying that it would heat the atmosphere and melt water. The conditions of the Earth roughly 4 billion years ago

SeriousPuppet t1_j5iwuok wrote

bro our air was formed from the volanic gases and gases from plants.

how will we ensure the same gases are released in the same way on mars.

and if mars' gravity and magnetic field are different then exactly how will it hold the same molecules in place?

neglectedselenium t1_j5ixksm wrote

All reasonable concerns. Our planet sadly loses a lot of hydrogen, too. 3 kg per second. But since we are obsessed with terraforming other worlds, we need to decide which one: Venus or Mars

SeriousPuppet t1_j5iy6vn wrote

we're not gonna terraform anything. you'll find out eventually. as it gets closer.

thisimpetus t1_j5i1y6l wrote

Well the atmosphere staying put bit is easy, mars has 2/3 earth's gravity, it once had a thicker atmosphere, and was lost over millions of years. So at least there's that.

Obviously the getting the right atmospheric mix and density requires us first to have automated mining in space, which we haven't even started yet.

but that's all you actually need to terraform mars. that and a century or two to complete it

SeriousPuppet t1_j5i47m7 wrote

bro you said a century or two.

we can build an underground base in much shorter time span.

in two centuries we'll have underground base on mars, jupiter moon, saturn moon, uranus moon.

thisimpetus t1_j5i4gk5 wrote

oh i well agree. just pointing that terraforming is a doable project