Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

barneysfarm t1_j553zp9 wrote

Except the brain can actually derive new ideas independently, whereas this is software that depends upon prompts and rules to return output. It is not independently intelligent by any means, nor creative.

You can make the same argument for most people, myself included. But we are fortunate enough to be able to think outside of a prompt/response format, because we are not bounded by code.

splashdust t1_j5576hl wrote

I’m not disputing that human brains can derive new ideas independently, just saying that they do it in a way similar to large language models.

The human though process constantly loops back on itself, essentially creating its own prompts, and we have the means to evaluate the outcomes and determine it’s value to us. We can also feel something about it, which, of course, a language model can’t.

A tool like ChatGPT is essentially a brain expansion addon. Our brains only have so much capacity for information, and learning new information take a lot of work. Now we can outsource some of that, and we can still evaluate and feel our way to an end result, just as we would when it came from our own brain.

So I would argue that human interaction with ChatGPT still produces a creative outcome. One could argue that it is a less personal one, but depending on the situation that doesn’t necessarily matter.

barneysfarm t1_j557uqn wrote

I agree with you. And I can see the validity of the argument that you can have a creative outcome, primarily because you have a creative being interacting with the tool.

What I was trying to emphasize, in response to the original comment on this thread, is that it is not yet independently creative or intelligent. It relies on our intelligence and creativity. I could have expressed that better.

splashdust t1_j558n5d wrote

Yeah, I know. I got a bit carried away there. These kinds of things are just so much fun to think about! :D