Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

remihoh t1_j40tigd wrote

i would love for decentralized storage and computational processing to come to fruition. i personally don’t trust big tech’s centralized cloud services in terms of privacy (or price for that matter). will take time, though

quaintSloe OP t1_j40ud5y wrote

Me too. Especially with all the data leaks we've been hearing about non-stop! It feels like every other week we get "the largest data leak", and more keep on one-upping the previous ones

TheAero1221 t1_j41euto wrote

I generally trust big companies not to alter or destroy my stored items though. Sure, they're peeking in the filing cabinet, but I feel a bit more at ease knowing it's probably just them gathering metrics and trying to sell me ads. Annoying, but predictable and relatively secure. Idk if I'd be able to quickly trust some decentralized options.

quaintSloe OP t1_j41tfkr wrote

But to look through your personal private messages to serve you ads? I honestly think that is way too out of line

TheAero1221 t1_j436u49 wrote

They already basically do this if I had to guess. Maybe not directly, but in plausibly deniable grey-area ways.

Bright_Development22 t1_j43y5sd wrote

I've recently been looking into this and IPFS appears to be a legit decentralized potential solution here... it's no where near the ease of use as current centralized services though.